Talk

Advanced search

Potty training, dummy removal, big boy bed...which first?

(9 Posts)
eskimopebble Mon 20-May-13 09:54:54

I have a 2 year 2 month old boy and am heading towards the next stage of toddlerhood. We have another baby on the way due in 3 1/2 months time so want to start before they arrive. Just as the title says, I want to start potty training, weaning him off the dummy and moving him into a big boy bed but don't want to overwhelm him by doing it all at once. Which should happen first? Or should potty training wait til after the new baby is here? Any advice would be great, thanks!

BabyStone Mon 20-May-13 10:02:52

do you think he is ready to be potty trained? maybe start with the dummy? or the bed then you can go down the route of "oh your a big boy in your bed now, big boys dont have dummies" and go from there. Not had any experience myself just what friends have done smile

GinAndaDashOfLime Mon 20-May-13 10:11:47

I can only tell you what I did with both my ds - big boy bed first as dummy helped that transition then once sleeping well in the bed they "wrote" to the dummy fairy, collected all dummies and left them on the doorstep and hey presto five minutes later they were gone and replaced with the scooter / playdo machine they really wanted! Toilet training I left till 2.5 with one and 3 with the other - in your situation I'd wait till the new baby is born, you've recovered from the birth, your ds has got used to being a big brother, and baby is sleeping well so you have the emotional energy to cope with toilet training .. So maybe when baby is 6 months? Good luck

eskimopebble Mon 20-May-13 10:15:57

Thank you, I did wonder whether keeping the dummy as a bargaining chip might help when moving him into a big bed!

Whale2Waif Mon 20-May-13 10:21:35

We are doing bed, dummy then potty training. I think I need a few more weeks til his bedroom is painted and my blood has been replaced by rum before I try any though!

KatoPotato Mon 20-May-13 10:26:43

Try not to stress on any of them, we did dummy first, then bed, then potty training.

Dummy was surprisingly easy, even though I worried and worried! But one night he just forgot to ask for it. We were stunned and stood outside his door waiting for him to realise. The next night he asked but we said 'but you never had one last night!' and he just accepted it.

Bed was also easy, but we made sure he was very involved with the process, build up etc. He's (touch wood) still never got out of it himself!

We did potty training at three. It only took about 3 days.

Go with your instincts. Congrats and good luck for DC2!

eskimopebble Mon 20-May-13 11:51:39

Thanks everyone. Big bed, dummy then potty it is! X

Whale2Waif Mon 20-May-13 23:10:57

DS has twice told me today he didn't want his dummy but asked for it when tired, think he might be taking over and changing my plans. Typical man!

SunshineandShandy Tue 21-May-13 10:20:16

We did dummy (which was super easy doing the whole 'dummy fairy' thing and I was DREADING it, but really over in a day or two), big bed (much harder and we now use a stair gate) and then potty training. We left potty training until she was almost 3 due to new baby arriving and followed the GF method and she got in a day or two. I think being almost 3 really helped.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now