Talk

Advanced search

Need advice re changing dd's nappies please!

(4 Posts)
lurcherlover Sun 19-May-13 21:57:38

Apologies in advance if I seem a complete idiot here, but dc1 is a boy and I'm not used to changing a girl's nappy - I'm not sure I'm doing it right. Dd is 5 weeks old and when I asked the mw about nappy changing, she said don't open her labia, just wipe the outside with cotton wool. So that's what I've been doing. She's had a bit of redness recently so I've been using a dab of Weleda nappy cream on her. My mum said I should gently clean out the cream that goes in between her outer and inner labia as if I leave it she'll get sore. I had a quick look and there is cream in there (just inside her outer labia) but she didn't seem to like me messing with her so I left it. Should I be trying to gently clean her like my mum says, or leave it alone? I never had this angst with DS- boys are much easier where nappies are concerned...

ilovepowerhoop Sun 19-May-13 22:19:40

I would leave the cream (its nappy cream so is ok to be there) but if she gets poo in the folds then I would gently clean that out.

RedlipsAndSlippers Sun 19-May-13 22:19:46

I was told the same with my DD, and noticed the same problem with the bepanthen I was using. As with your DD, mine was not pleased when I tried to gently clean it, fair enough! So I was advised to sort of swoosh her bath water around there a little more IYSWIM? Seemed to do the trick without irritating her.
Hope this helps smile

lurcherlover Sun 19-May-13 22:28:32

Thanks, I'll try that. I was thinking about trying a wet cotton bud but thought that might hurt her so I haven't. It's weird, this is not something I had ever thought about when pregnant! The little worries parenthood throws at us...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now