Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

naming ceremonies

(17 Posts)
tooz Tue 23-May-06 10:09:55

We are thinking about having a naming ceremony and nominating some close friends as godparent types. However not sure what to call them?! Any ideas or suggestions gratefully recieved.

MrsBadger Tue 23-May-06 10:11:55

the humanist assoc suggest 'guide-parent', or try mentor or sponser

Xavielli Tue 23-May-06 12:42:49

We call ours "Spiritual Guardians" as God-Parent is a contradiction in terms

pablopatito Tue 23-May-06 14:18:03

How is godparent a contradiction in terms?

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 14:20:39

Most people who choose naming ceremonies do so because they don't believe in god pablo.

Xavielli Tue 23-May-06 14:26:28

We are christian and have naming cerimonies for our children because you cannot become born again for someone else!

God is the ultimate father, to have someone be parent on his behalf in my opinion ( no offence to anyone btw... each is free to do as they wish) is a contradiction.

We have chosen 2 people for each of our babies to be "spiritual guardians" ie. If something should happen to us then they would carry out our wishes as to how they are raised.

pablopatito Tue 23-May-06 15:02:31

But could you not use the term godparent in a non-religous way? James Brown is the Godfather of Soul but not in a religous way (ok, not a good example but you no what I mean I hope).

CarolinaMoose Tue 23-May-06 15:28:28

who says godparents are supposed to be parents on God's behalf? Aren't they supposed to be parents-in-God, i.e. parent-substitutes in a spritual dimension?

And what do you mean by "you cannot become born again for someone else"? Do you mean you can't take baptismal vows on behalf of someone else?

CarolinaMoose Tue 23-May-06 15:30:17

pablo, I think a lot of atheists prefer to avoid God-related/Christian titles, as it's a bit meaningless if you don't believe in God.

I think mentor/spiritual guardian sounds apt.

SaintGeorge Tue 23-May-06 15:35:14

Not just atheists. I have a religion but I don't worship a singular god as in the Christian God.

Xavielli Tue 23-May-06 16:05:25

No there is a difference between being baptised and being a born again Christian.

Its like taking someone with a non-christian DP and dipping them in water (again I am not meaning to offend anyone here) and saying they are saved. They have to except the Lord as savior for themselves.

Apologies for the hijack... haven't mean to turn this into an spiritual debate

pablopatito Tue 23-May-06 16:10:36

I'm an atheist but don't have any problem with using religious words. I love Christmas but don't feel the need to rename it. On the other hand, I just don't like the term mentor or spiritual guardian. It just sounds a bit new age for me

not that there is anything wrong with new age.

rarrie Tue 23-May-06 17:16:00

We called them guide parents... close enough to God parents that people understand what the term means, but secular enough not to get confused with God!

CarolinaMoose Tue 23-May-06 17:31:16

pablo, you lightweight .

What's wrong with Winterval?

bumbleweed Fri 26-May-06 18:35:41

Ours were 'Supporting Adults' - its a bit official sounding, I know, but it was one of the suggestions in the register office bumf and I preferred it to 'guide parents'.

LeahE Fri 26-May-06 19:34:22

We called ours godparents but had the celebrant insert a bit about how we were using it as a commonly-understood word to describe the relationship and not in a religious sense (or something like that -- she had a handy form of words ready as it's a common dilemma). DH was rather taken by "oddparents", though. I've also seen "special friends", "mentors" and "guide-parents".

Xavielli -- the point of godparents traditionally was to take joint responsibility with the parents for the spiritual upbringing of children (particularly important in the past when the likelihood of both parents surviving until the child reached adulthood was slim). There wasn't a concept of "parenting on behalf of God". I entirely see why born again christians don't have christenings/baptisms for children, though.

LeahE Fri 26-May-06 19:35:43

P.S. You can't use "godparents" if you're having a registry office civil ceremony, but can if you're having a humanist ceremony.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: