Talk

Advanced search

Leaving my 1 year old for a day - come and tell me I'm worrying about nothing!

(8 Posts)
MrsOgg Sat 18-May-13 16:34:37

I know, I know, loads of babies are in full-time nursery from much younger than this, and I'm only leaving him for about 8 hours, with his dad, who is great with him... but I'm fretting!

I've only been apart from him for 4 hours at a time, when my husband takes him out on a Saturday so I can mumsnetclean the house and get some work done, and it's gone really well. So there is no need to worry, is there?

He usually has a breastfeed in the middle of the day before his nap, which he'll be missing out on. But lots of breastfeeding mothers go back to work and it's fine isn't it? I can just pump and dump if I'm uncomfortable around lunchtime, and DH can try rocking him to sleep or something (he's refused to go in the pushchair for a few months but occasionally falls asleep in the back carrier, so that might work). But even if he won't be rocked to sleep/fall asleep in the carrier and cries and cries... he'll eventually cry himself to sleep won't he? DH can try a cup of warm cowsmilk, that might do the trick...

Please tell me I'm being a tit and it will all be fine. I'm going in to work for a day (usually work from home at evenings/weekends), and I'm SO looking forward to an actual lunchbreak! I'm going to read a book and get an almond croissant from Pret!!!

Tee2072 Sat 18-May-13 16:35:46

You're being a tit. He'll be fine.

poocatcherchampion Sat 18-May-13 16:47:15

he'll be fine.

I still hate doing it with my 14mo - only occasionally do I work a full day. she is fine, esp when dh has her, its much worse for me - OK when I'm busy but I rush to get home and hate not knowing all the detail of her day.
but enjoy yourself - it will be fine!

Cravingdairy Sat 18-May-13 17:06:40

He will have a great time. Hope you do too.

MrsOgg Sat 18-May-13 17:57:35

Ahh, thanks!

Notsoyummymummy1 Sat 18-May-13 20:07:01

Honestly he will be fine - it will be nice for him to get some quality time with his daddy and your dh will not let him starve and he will get some sleep. He will still be there when you get back, nothing terrible will happen and he will enjoy the novelty - he won't be traumatised if his routine changes a bit for one day and your dh will find his own way if getting him to sleep and keeping him entertained. I left my 15 month old dd with my dh the other week while I had a day out with my mum and I was anxious too before the day but when it actually came to it I really enjoyed the break and found I was distracted enough not to fret too much. Dh texted me now and then to say how they were getting on - they had a fun time at the park - she was a bit late with her nap and bottle than normal but she wasn't bothered and when I came through the door in the evening she barely gave me a glance!!!

Numberlock Sat 18-May-13 20:09:51

Make it a regular thing but non-work related next time!

valiumredhead Mon 20-May-13 14:22:13

The first time I ever left ds was when he was about the same age. He stayed with his very lovely Aunty, my SIL who has 4 children of her own and is a fab mum.

Ds had the BEST time, he had chocolate buttons - first choc ever, I was a bit stressy about it then looked at her own beautiful kids and reminded myself all of them were still alive wink and he had a batch with his 4 yr old cousin.

He had the biggest smile ever for me when I came to get him, but when I poked my head round the door I saw he was all curled up on her lap having a lovely cuddle. Was so sweet smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now