Talk

Advanced search

bottle for milk at 18 mths

(10 Posts)
SecrectFarleysNibbler Sat 18-May-13 11:59:54

My DD has milk in the morning and milk at night - but still in her baby bottle. I didn't realise that because of teeth she is supposed to not be drinking from a teat still ?!?!?! Tried her with soft teat sippy cup this morning and as expected she was not hugly impressed! Is it really a big deal or is it just more over researched hype?

LadyintheRadiator Sat 18-May-13 12:02:50

Oh I'd just stick with the bottle tbh, as long as its only for milk, and she isn't going to sleep with it. My DD had a bottle of milk at bedtime until 2, she stopped drinking much so that was that.

lifesobeautiful Sat 18-May-13 12:53:36

I'd stick with it too! My DS had milk in the morning and at night until he was 2.5. We just brushed his teeth afterwards, before bed and book. He didn't mind a sippy cup, but just wouldn't drink that much - and I really wanted him to have all that calcium.

PoppyWearer Sat 18-May-13 13:10:55

I agree with the others, stick with the bottle for now.

Fairylea Sat 18-May-13 13:13:45

Stick with it. Dd is now 10 years old and only gave up the bedtime bottle age 3! Her teeth are straight and fine. Honestly don't worry about it.

SecrectFarleysNibbler Sun 19-May-13 09:33:39

cheers - its part of what she enjoys and I would rather leave her with it

beckyf21 Sun 19-May-13 13:15:15

My DS loved his milk in a bottle and i was worried too and wondered how we would ever get him off it, he was 2.8 and got a tummy bug so didnt have milk for a couple of days and then he forgot about his bottle and moved onto a big boy cup now! They will do it eventually, dont worry. I really miss seeing him enjoying his milk in a bottle.

PrincessScrumpy Sun 19-May-13 13:57:53

I'm from the other camp I guess and dds had free flow sippy cups from 12mo and now have open cups or ones with straws if out and they are 20mo. We have a history of enamel erosion due to reflux in the family so I do anything I can to help their teeth.
Having said that, I wouldn't judge anyone for still using bottles, just make sure the milk is drunk before bed, then clean teeth. Don't put DC in cot with bottle all night

valiumredhead Sun 19-May-13 17:58:37

Ds had a bottle until 3 grin As long as you clean teeth afterwards it's fine.

Notsoyummymummy1 Sun 19-May-13 22:35:00

My health visitor said not to worry too much - most of the 2 year olds she deals with still have their milk out of a bottle - it's a comfort thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now