Talk

Advanced search

How many layers?

(9 Posts)
LittleJack15 Sat 18-May-13 02:08:22

I need help please. I'm a bit of a worrier. I've got a 9 week old little chap and he sleeps in his Moses basket in my room. Which the temperature at night some nights is 20-21. How many layers would I need on him and how many blankets on him. But then some nights it's 19-20. How many layers and blankets would I need then.
smilesmile

chubbychipmonk Sat 18-May-13 04:08:01

My DS was swaddled in a cellular blanket with another one folded over the top & tucked into the sides of the Moses basket. He's 8 weeks now tho & for last few weeks has been in Gro bag (sleepy bag) with a light weight blanket over the top. Have you tried a gro bag? Easier than all the blankets.

BonaDea Sat 18-May-13 10:42:13

At any of those temperatures - 19-21 - my 8 wo is in a short sleeved vest, sleepsuit and sleeping bag.

Overheating is the real danger so don't go over board with blankets etc...

LittleJack15 Sat 18-May-13 15:12:55

Thank you. I'm a real worrier.
smilesmile

dancemom Sat 18-May-13 15:15:06

As a rule, one more layer than you need. So if you are in jammies and a blanket then lo would need vest, sleep suit and blanket smile

CoolaSchmoola Sat 18-May-13 15:29:03

Below 20° a sleep suit, vest and 2.5 togs worth of bedding, 20° to 23° no vest and 1 tog worth of bedding. Over 24° vest and single layer of sheet. Sleeping bags are tog rated so they are the easiest way to get the right tog level. If you use sheets and blankets remember that folding them doubles the tog.

A rough guide to sheets and blankets is 16° to 19° a single layer of sheet, two layers of blanket (either two blankets or one folded) 20° to 23° a single layer of sheet and a single layer of blanket, 24° a single layer of sheet.

As above overheating is the real danger. To check if a baby is too warm feel the back of their neck. If it is clammy or sweaty reduce the bedding. To check if they are cold feel their tummy or back. Hands and feet may feel cold but the baby may be warm enough or even too hot. Cold hands and feet are normal in babies and are not an indicator of body temperature.

The Lullaby Trust (formerly FSID) have a really useful guide to the tog values of bedding and what to use in what temperature. Most sleeping bags come with a guide too. It is not recommended to use any extra covers with a sleeping bag due to the risk of overheating or the cover moving and covering the baby's head.

LittleJack15 Mon 20-May-13 08:04:10

Can I have some advice on the gro bags please?
Are they safe for 9 week old who loves to kick. Because that's what my little chap has just started doing, kicking his blankets off. The night I started writing this problem he started kicking blankets off. Think he was thinking to himself what problem can I give her next grin.

ilovepowerhoop Mon 20-May-13 08:33:24

they are designed for babies who kick their covers off!

LittleJack15 Mon 20-May-13 17:31:44

Order some today.
smilesmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now