Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping safe ?

(7 Posts)
Kerryandjax Fri 17-May-13 15:48:39

Hi my son is 10 weeks old now and has been co sleeping but getting worried about him forming a bad habit and not Being able to put him in his own bed I have found that he will sleep in his Mosses basket if I have put a pillow in it first I don't know if this is because it is more comfortable or because it smells like me or because there is a little more room ? Or because he is more cushioned when he jumps being a very jumpy baby any way it works and he look safe but I am just wondering if there are any unthought of problems with this will it do his spine any damage or in crease rid of cot death ect only other place he will sleep is on me or in car seat and this seemed to be the better option any advice /suggestions should I worry ? Xx

catlady1 Fri 17-May-13 15:55:44

Hmm I wouldn't. If he was to roll over, his face would end up buried in the pillow which obviously is a huge suffocation risk. That's why they say no pillows or duvets or soft toys and firm mattresses for young babies. He'll probably be fine until he can roll (although I dont imagine its very good for his back either), but you don't know whether he'll do it when you're not watching, and either way you're going to have the problem of getting him to sleep without it if you let him get too used to it.

ExBrightonBell Fri 17-May-13 16:46:03

As the pp has said current advice is not to put anything in the baby's cot like pillows etc.

Instead of a pillow or anything else, we used a Sleepyhead bed guard - it's not like a pillow but it helps your baby feel more snug. My ds really took to it, especially if we warmed it first. You can put it in any cot, we had it in a bedside attached one.

The only downside is that it is not cheap, and neither are the spare covers.

Droflove Fri 17-May-13 22:58:56

I know a few people who did exactly this. It's one of the many 'not recommended' things but use your judgement, and it's up to you.

Fairyegg Sat 18-May-13 08:09:00

It's def not recommended due to the increases risk of cot death. Have you tried seeping with a muslin cloth or something similar and putting that in babies basket so it smells of you? If breastfeeding you can put it inside your bra for a bit.

monstergoose Sat 18-May-13 08:17:41

We co sleep initially and feed to sleep and then transfer to crib once she's asleep. What works for us is to have her sleeping on a muslin under her head in bed then just transferring that across with her. I think it helps because it's already warm so her head doesn't touch a cold mattress and wake her up. If she comes back into bed to feed it comes back across again.

SecrectFarleysNibbler Sat 18-May-13 10:21:27

I co-slept to start with,(first weeks) and found that I seemed to be 'hyper' alert even though I was sleeping. I progressed to this Snuggle nest which allowed DD to stay in bed with me but a little safer. She then went into a crib on the bed next to me when a few months old and then into the cot by the bed and on the dot of six months into her own room WITHOUT any complaint. ThinkI might have just been lucky with that!!

http://www.snugglenest.net/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now