Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

I know I should be a nice middle class parent and enjoy listening to my dd read to me, but...

(147 Posts)
Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:12:30

it has become a flash point at the end of the day.

She has a reading book every day from school (she is 6, in year 1), she is supposed to read it to me and I listen and write comments in her reading book.

The last few weeks have been a real struggle for me as far as her reading goes - obviously I am knackered with small baby and 3 year old, BUT

a) she has started to hate reading and fusses and moans whenever we have to sit and do it
b) she just stares out of the window if she doesnt know a word, then if I tell her what it is she throws a fit
c)she reads REALLY SLOWLY and it took us 50 mins to read 16 pages this evening
d) she reads in a baby lispy voice that drives me mad and I just can't keep my mouth shut about it

I know I should be calmer and more positive but my comment in her reading book tonight was 'Like pulling teeth'.

How on earth can we get back on track with this?

CountessDracula Mon 22-May-06 17:14:24

get dh to do it

PanicPants Mon 22-May-06 17:14:59

Do you HAVE to read the whole book? I teach Y2 and that does seem excessive.

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:15:16

it drives him mad too

we have started arguing about who does it

hulababy Mon 22-May-06 17:16:00

Can you just not do it all some days - maybe just one page. And then write down a relevant comment to the teacher, and give your reasons. Forcing her to read might push her away from reading completely.

After a while of not having the pressure she may start up with the reading again of he rown accord, especially with lots of positive comments on what she does do, rather than negative ones on what she doesn't do.

Obviously this depends on school policy, to though. good luck

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:16:39

they arent very long books (ginn stage 7 if that means anything)

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:17:10

Message withdrawn

BettySpaghetti Mon 22-May-06 17:17:55

My DD is the same age so I understand where you're coming from !

Is there any way her Dad can take over reading duties either before bed or in the morning?

We found the time between end of school and bed was so manic with cooking /eating / bathtime/tending to DS etc that it just wasn't working so now she reads to DP before bed.

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:17:59

at idea of donig in the morning

when I say night I mean after school, sorry, at 4 ish

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:18:05

Message withdrawn

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:18:21

Message withdrawn

LotosEater Mon 22-May-06 17:18:52

Give up for a while if she is so reluctant or it could make her more stubborn IMHO

CMac Mon 22-May-06 17:19:15

Do you think she might be taking ages over it deliberately as a reaction to the new baby? i.e. dragging out the one-to-one time with mummy/daddy? Or did it start beforehand?

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:19:24

Message withdrawn

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:19:24

I am not up in the morning for breakfast atm (have probably finally got some kip from 5.30 onwards) but when things become normal we could try it

dinosaure Mon 22-May-06 17:19:42

Once we were sure that DS1 was reading pretty fluently we dropped the "reading out loud" ritual - it was ghastly.

But it was easier as there was no stated school policy that we had to carry on doing it.

Now of course DS2 has to read to us in the evenings but at least it is only two books a week.

I also hate reading really long books out loud - so I can understand why kids hate it.

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:19:50

Message withdrawn

Kelly1978 Mon 22-May-06 17:20:05

Do u drive to school? My solution is to leave early and then sit in the car outside the school doing it! It started because the twins are so demanding I find it hard to get one to one with dd. But we need to leave early to get a parking space at school, so I get there 15 mins early and that gives her time to read her book in a relaxed, quiet environment (the babies are quiet in the car). I enjoy it now, as I'm fresher in the morning and appreciate the time with her before she dissapears for the day.

LotosEater Mon 22-May-06 17:20:07

Will she read a different, non-school book? we tried that for a while when ds1 went through a stage of refusing to read

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:20:16

I still enjoy/she still enjoys listening to a bedtime story though

god knows how we will cope iwth two lots of homework

PanicPants Mon 22-May-06 17:20:52

Yes it does.

Have you tried choosing a 'proper' (gulp) book with her, one that interests her from the library or shop and reading that at home instead? That way she might be a bit more interested in the content.

I always say to mums, that at home I don't mind what they read, as long as they read. I'd much prefer a child reads a comic/own book/back of a cereal packet with mum willingly then read a scheme book reluctantly.

Enid Mon 22-May-06 17:21:06

lotos that is interesting

yes she much prefers to read other books

cod Mon 22-May-06 17:21:34

Message withdrawn

Hadalifeonce Mon 22-May-06 17:22:01

I had the same problem with ds, I wrote in his book that he seemed reluctant to read at home, so wasn't going to push it.
I know he reads very well, so I don't mind if he doesn't read his books from school, because he reads the books he wants to. At this stage of his education (year 1 also) I'm not too bothered.

LotosEater Mon 22-May-06 17:22:19

PP -that's what ds1's teacher suggested

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: