Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HELP Whooping Cough symptoms

(8 Posts)
NumTumDeDum Fri 17-May-13 01:38:47

My ds 5 1/2 mo just woke. He was crying and had a slight cough. After each cough there was a sort of wheezing sound. I bf him which calmed him down and he has fallen asleep. He seems phlegmy. I am wondering if he might have whooping cough even though he has his jabs? Dp and I are on edge listening to him breathe trying to work out if we imagined it or not and whether to call 111 or wait til morning.

Can anyone tell me if their baby has had it, and does this sound like it?

hazeybabes Fri 17-May-13 10:50:38

Sounds more like croup to me. With whooping cough there's actually a whoop sound when they cough. With croup there can be a lot of wheezing and the cough is more like a barking seal. Both sound very scarey to hear. Main thing is to try to stay calm for your child as the more panicked they feel the harder it is for them. Look online for symptoms of croup to see if it fits - they'll also be guidelines on how to help. It is possible to get whooping cough after jabs but is pretty rare.

NumTumDeDum Fri 17-May-13 12:29:57

Thanks Hazey, turns out it's a viral infection. It was blimming scary though listening to him. I caved after a coughing fit at 4 am and rang out of hours but the Dr decided it would be ok to wait til morning surgery, which it was. I think I must be the only person in the country with a good experience of 111. I've used it twice now, first time was dd when she had a fever.

glorious Fri 17-May-13 13:31:38

Glad it's all ok, must've been so scary. I found 111 good too, though some of the initial questions are a bit amusing (e.g. can you remember your name? Well yes I've just told you it and my address, doctor etc! I didn't say that of course smile )

pajamapants1 Fri 17-May-13 17:35:44

Just a slight warning, my ds (6months at the time) had broncholitus it is worth keeping keeping check of symptoms and how long they last. He had a bad case and was seen 3 times and told he had viral infection and then the 4th time doctor rang an ambulance turned out his blood oxygen was too low and was in hosp for a week. Not saying this to scare you its just a warning. Your the mum and you know better if your dc is not right. Hope your dc gets better soon xx

TwasBrillig Fri 17-May-13 17:40:51

Similarly my babies whooping cough was misdiagnosed 3 times as people just weren't used to seeing it.

TolliverGroat Fri 17-May-13 17:48:28

My newborn had whooping c ough eight years ago and, again, it took three visits to the GP before he was referred to hospital where he was diagnosed.

But your description in the OP didn't sound particularly like whooping cough, more like croup or something similar. For one thing small babies often don't have the characteristic whoop (another reason it often takes a while to diagnose them).

NumTumDeDum Fri 17-May-13 18:06:07

Thanks all, I shall bear all that in mind. I did discover there are videos of the various types of cough on You Tube which is helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now