Talk

Advanced search

Swaddling

(5 Posts)
n0ne Tue 14-May-13 14:59:53

Can anyone give me any advice/opinions on this? It seems to be the done thing in the US but isn't in the Netherlands where I am. Should I bother? How is it done? My LO is 5.5w now - is it too late? She seems to sleep fine without it? confused

GingerDoodle Tue 14-May-13 15:01:34

Its a personal pref - some babies are comforted by not being able to move around so much (as they were not able to in the womb).

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Tue 14-May-13 15:42:47

Really wouldn't if your baby settles without. Most stop at about 6 weeks anyway as they want to explore their hands. Also latest research suggests a link with SIDS and advice is to avoid.

GingerJulep Tue 14-May-13 20:48:04

At antenatal class we were warned that disadvantages include overheating (and hence SIDS) and poor muscle development/limb alignment as babies naturally carry their (arms and) legs slightly bent and straightening them out and binding them that way prevents the natural development.

On the other hand they also said that some cultures do it a lot and that if you really want to then it might be fine.

Sounds like you have no need though :-)

PunkyPod Tue 14-May-13 20:51:35

Am in the UK and swaddled from day 5. Helped DD's sleep immensely and she slept in her swaddled pods til about 6 weeks. Then we moved into sleeping bags. If your baby doesn't need it then don't bother smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now