Talk

Advanced search

Mum! I'm hungry! Mum! I'm hungry! Ideas for healthy snacking please

(10 Posts)
MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Mon 13-May-13 22:44:07

And ideas that I/ they can just grab.
I've given up trying to get them to wait for meal times. DS2 is always hungry and is a right grazer. DD going the same way. They are 4 and 2. They can have, within reason, Toast, weetabix, banana, pear, apple, carrot, bowl of dry crappy cereal. Any other ideas for quick, filling, reasonably healthy snacks?

Ruprekt Mon 13-May-13 22:47:03

Why not try giving more substantial meals so they snack less?

Eggs fill my boys up for breakfast til lunch.

Then proteins and salad for lunch....they rarely need snacks.

Tis not a good habit to get into. smilesmile

JoyceDivision Mon 13-May-13 22:50:10

DCs treat is a snack tray - this cunning device is really the empty tray from a chocolate box.

I put stuff in each 'pocket' in the tray,abd the dcs shovel down the lot because of the pic n mix element. Usually grapes, chunks of peppers, bit of cheese, orange segments, chopped up apple etc.

smile

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Mon 13-May-13 23:19:57

Rupreket I hear you and I know this to be a bad thing but meal times take so long as it is! (Unless its macaroni cheese followed by ice cream which they seem to put away without it touching the sides). Seriously, I'm a good cook and cook healthy balanced meals from scratch, not always but most of the time because that's how we eat and I like to cook. But they just faff around and take forever and a day and rarely (unless its their favourite) do they want seconds. Then when they (actually its really DS, the girl just copies him) inevitably ask for food half an hour later I can't face the whining and give in.
On the up side DS1 used to be a crappy mealtime eater and has been great since he turned about 5.

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Mon 13-May-13 23:20:56

joyce that's my DCs favourite kind if meal. We call it picnic tea. grin

Doitnicelyplease Tue 14-May-13 02:49:48

My dd1 is always asking for snacks too
Drives me mad
Here's some ideas:
Frozen grapes
Edamame beans (buy them frozen) Dd calls them popping beans
Babybel cheeses or laughing cow
Goldfish crackers (not sure they have those in UK)
Peanut butter with sticks of celery to dip
Or humus (sp?)
Make up your own trail mix from dry cereal eg shreddies and dried fruit such as raisins throw in some dark choc chips as a treat
Breadsticks with small amount Nutella to dip

Look forward to reading other suggestions 😀

MyShoofly Tue 14-May-13 03:30:56

Greek yogurt...add some fresh fruit to it if you want it to really be filling (today DS1 had full fat vanilla Greek yogurt with orange slices in it, yesterday strawberries added, day before banana etc)

cheese cubed or sliced

Unsweetened apple/fruit sauce cups

We admittedly do a lot of raisins/dried cranberry but The dentist says we should limit

4 year old could have nuts, 2 year old could try unshelled sunflower seeds

TwentyTinyToes Tue 14-May-13 05:20:20

Oatcakes, rice cakes, breadsticks, raisin toast, toasted muffins, dried fruit (limit due to teeth), veg sticks to dip in hummous/soft cheese, cold boiled egg, cold strips of omelette, cheese cubes, wide variety of fresh fruit, homemade flapjack and muffins can be healthyish if you look for low sugar recipes.

SuiGeneris Tue 14-May-13 05:52:15

How about serving fruit first at mealtimes, so they start with, say, a bowl of strawberries, followed by pasta, followed by fruit again?

Also, timetable their snacks (we always have snack at 4pm) and do not allow food anywhere else than at the table, after hand-washing. We find that having to stop playing limits the attraction of snacks...

4pm snacks here: bread dipped in oil; bread and jam; banana; milk and fruit smoothie (around 200ml milk plus a banana and some strawberries, for example); bread and avocado with lemon juice; hot chocolate with cake (homemade, so a lot less fat and sugar than bought ones); hummous with carrot or bread; yoghurt...

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Tue 14-May-13 09:27:57

Thanks all. Some good suggestions here. Agree re snacks at the table - that would make them a lot less appealing if they have to stop dollies / lego / tv. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now