Talk

Advanced search

Help! Started sleep training but now DS has a cold- continue?

(5 Posts)
Limehouse Sun 12-May-13 13:11:27

We started Pick Up Put Down 2 nights ago after reaching end if my tether as DS wasn't sleeping more than 2 hours a time and wanting to feed back to sleep each time and he was exhausted in the day.1st night went well, cried for "only" 30 mins and settled with less each time. He is 6 months and fully BF with dream feed at 11. But he ( and I) both picked up a cold on 2nd night and last night he was much more difficult to settle, due to blocked nose I think. He isn't unwell and is ok in himself but I am worried the aim of PUPD is to he him learn to sleep, not to think Mummy isn't cuddling him with his cold? DH thinks we need to continue or it will confuse him.
Any advice? Should I stop and try another time or persevere if it continues as just a cold?

cathan Sun 12-May-13 15:06:37

I think you should continue. It's a difficult thing to do anyway (for all of you!) and stopping while he's got the cold only to start again later is likely to prolong the whole process and make it harder still. As long as he doesn't have a fever etc, I would give him lots of love and cuddles during the day and stick with your plan for bedtime. Apart from anything else, remember that you're doing this for his sake as well as yours - children who can settle themselves for sleep will sleep better overall. With both my DD and DS, there were times when illness meant we had to soothe/comfort them to sleep, but once they were able to go to sleep alone, this only happened when they were really ill and we were able to go back to our usual routine once they were well. Hope this helps.

bbface Mon 13-May-13 07:04:42

I would definitely halt it. Just wait until cold over. The key to successful sleep training is that you feel confident that what you are doing if the right thing., it will get you through the difficult points. If you have any concerns your baby s health, yoare not going to,be committed to the training and doubt yourself. Just wait a day or two.

blueblackdye Mon 13-May-13 21:00:23

Agree with bbface, op, you are still in very early stage with sleeptraining, wait until the cold is over, you will be more confident and be able to put baby down without wondering if DS cries because of blocked nose or not. It may postpone a bit the sleeptraing but a day or two won't make a big difference.

brainonastick Mon 13-May-13 21:03:03

No, you can only do sleep training of whatever kind if there are no other reasons for non-sleeping (illness, teething etc). Just do what you've got to do to get through the illness, then start again.

Unfortunately they are always (or mine are) more clingy after illness, so it can be doubly hard to be firm then, but stick with it and you'll get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now