Talk

Advanced search

Did/does anyone else experience this?

(14 Posts)
karinmaria Sun 12-May-13 03:17:12

Hello all, I'm a newbie here on mumsnet and a first time mum. My DS is 5 weeks old and and we seem to be doing ok (ish) so far.

I'm concerned I'm not changing him at the right time and wonder if I could have some advice. I'm changing him after a feed (he's formula fed, he hated the boob) but this means, even after being burped and kept upright for a bit after feeding, he brings up milk onto the changing mat and inevitably on his clothes which then need to be changed.

Should I change him before a feed even though he tends to wee during/just after so has a very wet nappy or keep doing what I'm doing and chalk the minor vomiting as normal...?

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 12-May-13 03:47:58

I think that minor vomiting is quite normal - it's known as posseting, but you could try varying the time of changing him to see if it helps - it must be a pain to have to change the whole outfit. Maybe waiting for longer after a feed? Or you could try just before, nappies can usually hold more than one wee so if he's doing one during or just after a feed he should be comfortable for a while if it's in a fresh nappy.

karinmaria Sun 12-May-13 07:33:52

Thank you for replying - I think I'm going to change him before a feed instead of after as I'm sure you're right about nappies keeping him dry. I've been waiting up to 45 mins after feeding before changing and he still brings up milk...

Do/did you change yours at night? The process of it seems to wake up baby (and then he's awake for 2 hours at 3am) so I'm thinking about trying the baby dry nappies as he leaks otherwise.

marshmallow2468 Sun 12-May-13 07:42:27

I only change at night if I can smell poo. Luckily that's rare, he's not needed changing in the middle of the night since he was about 6 or 7 weeks.

karinmaria Sun 12-May-13 09:35:35

Marshmallow that's what I've been trying to do too - he seems to love a 3am poop though! I'll hope we progress to day time only!

TigerSwallowTail Sun 12-May-13 09:41:41

Would keeping a bib on him while you change him work?

DolomitesDonkey Sun 12-May-13 09:44:11

I ff and changed mine before because it seemed bonkers to wake them up again to change. They were often sleepy after a bottle - especially at that age.

karinmaria Sun 12-May-13 10:46:55

Omg how did I not think of a bib?! I blame it on lack of sleep. Will keep some with the nappies etc for those times I do need to change after a feed.
Thank you smile

drinkyourmilk Sun 12-May-13 10:50:45

Sleep deprivation could male Einstein appear to be a Muppet! [Grin]

AndMiffyWentToSleep Sun 12-May-13 10:52:46

You could also put sthg under the change mat to tilt the head-end up at a very slight angle - we did this with the moses basket too to stop the sick-ups.

GiraffesAndButterflies Sun 12-May-13 10:58:43

Have exactly the same thing with mine (ebf). I've taken to putting a muslin across the top of the changing mat, this soaks it up so it doesn't go on the mat and from there to her clothes/hair. She screamed the place down if I tried to change her before a feed.

Also I find it's the lifting her legs up which makes her vomit, so I try to minimise that. Not always possible but when I can.

changechangechange Sun 12-May-13 12:08:33

Definitely only do nighttime changes if poo or leaking! And, if leaking, try a bigger size/different brand.

I don't think I had any sort of synchrony between feeds and nappies. I fed him all the effing time (ebf, undx tongue tie) and changed his nappy about every 4-5 hours or when he pooed. That was disposables, apols if this is some cloth-nappying need I don't understand. blush

karinmaria Sun 12-May-13 17:58:40

Ha about Einstein!

I'm going to try tilting his bassinet as he tends to vom a little when I put him down to sleep too. He didn't seem to mind being changed the last couple of times before a feed, which is lucky!

And yep, I'm using disposables at the moment, just moved up a size so hopefully will have a drier more happy baby smile

Kafri Sun 12-May-13 20:20:58

DS is 5m now and I very quickly found us in Size 3 nappies so agree - check sizes.

FF as he's on Pepti 1 for reflux/Intolerances and have always changed nappy before a feed. Nappies can hold a fair amount of liquid so don't worry too much about DC weeing while feeding. DS always poos while feeding so I do go through two in a short space of time then but seeing as he doesn't have a set poo time, I can't second guess it, lol

DS spent a week on neo natal after burth and change before feed was how they did it so just continued from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now