Talk

Advanced search

Am i being selfish?

(6 Posts)
wibblyjelly Fri 10-May-13 09:02:45

Basically, ds will be in nursery the day before I go back to work. I'm due back on the Tuesday, and he starts on the Monday, to give me a chance to have a bit of 'me time before going back. It will also give me a chance to get used to not spending every day with him, without the pressure of work. Is this selfish though? Should I be spending my last day of maternity with him?

flossymuldoon Fri 10-May-13 10:42:16

I had 8 half days over 4 weeks that i was at home and he was in nursery before i went back to work. It was a transition period for him as i didn't want to be worrying about his first day at nursery on my first day back at work.

Whether it's selfish depends on your interpretation of the word selfish. Dictionary definition is:

self·ish [sel-fish]

adjective
1. devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

There is nothing wrong with caring about yourself and be concerned about your own interests, as long as it doesn't negatively affect your DS. He will be taken care of it won't impact him.
It's 1 day. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of the rest of his life.

wigglesrock Fri 10-May-13 10:43:24

Nope, you should be spending your last day of maternity getting yourself organised. Ps don't tell anyone but my dd1 started childcare twice a week for a whole month before I went back to work.

KatyN Fri 10-May-13 11:20:41

One day??? I had 4 days.. spread over a month while he settled in and I got over leaving him each day.

I did hope that would mean when I actually arrived at my desk I wouldn't need a cry (or to ring the nursery constantly to check he was alright).. but I am a worrier.

enjoy your day.

wibblyjelly Fri 10-May-13 15:29:03

Thanks all. He will also be having his settling in days as well. Its just going to be a bit strange not having my little shadow with me everyday smile

teacher123 Fri 10-May-13 18:29:27

Hell no! The settling in period is for you as well as them! I had several half days in the lead up to DS going to the childminders and me going back to work and I got LOADS done. I've also wangled it so that he has a term time only contract but with some extra days built in so that I can use those for fun things in the holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now