Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Problems with first child after second one starts moving

(6 Posts)
Em32 Fri 19-May-06 21:18:20

Anyone else had problems with this? Ds is very strong willed but charming when he wants to be. Since dd starting rolling and sitting up though (and he moved up a class at nursery) he has turned into nightmare child. I seem to spend all day with him kicking off, throwing stuff at me or just throwing stuff, hitting me, refusing to eat (mealtimes are a process of stand offs where first lot goes in the bin then he eventually eats when he realises he won't get any lunch or a yoghurt otherwise) I am knackered and fed up by the end of lunch as dd has decided that 5.30am is waking up time. I've tried playing more with him and we've had one or two good days in the last couple of weeks but mostly it has just been really hard. His nursery (he goes three days a week) are struggling with him biting as well. I feel about 50 at the moment ..... They are 2.3 yrs and 8.5 months BTW

MerlinsBeard Fri 19-May-06 21:20:57

i had the same thing, and again when ds2 started to walk. They are just feeling threatened a little, it DOES pass i promise. I am currently in the he can walk part!
Finding that if i am ridiculously positive to DS1 while pretending to ignore DS2 (which of course u can't really!) then DS1s behaviour is much better. Part of it is an age thing too

if that made any sense at all ur a genious! Mine are 13 months and 3 yrs

oops Fri 19-May-06 21:33:08

Message withdrawn

Em32 Fri 19-May-06 21:42:11

Thanks - good suggestion telling him dd is going to start crawling eventually ..... will try that one. Nice to know I am not alone. I really felt like giving up today but just keep reminding myself he is only 2. A break from both of them would be nice tbh, just for a day or two (even though dd is an easy baby) but can't as still bf dd and she doesn't do bottles. Hope I'm not alone in feeling like that otherwise will feel even more drowning in guilt than usual!

MerlinsBeard Fri 19-May-06 21:59:05

a lovely long bath helps! take a book and some wine and it really helps u unwind

Martini Sat 20-May-06 02:21:16

I really sympathise. Its very hard work with 2 little ones.

I tried to think up "games" that we could all play together where DS (the older one) got the starring role and DD played a support part. We played Koala Brothers in our tandem double buggy(DD was Ned!), Postman Pat (DD=Jess) and spent ages pretending that DD had crashed her baby trike and DS was policeman who had come to sort it out. I made DD "say" things to DS like "Wow you are a really cool big bro" etc. It sounds cheesy but it kept DS occupied & it cheered us all up & somehow it reduced the time available for throwing/ shouting.

When things got really bad I used to stuff them both in them pram and go out for a walk.

It is hard but it doesn't last forever & my 2 now have quite sweet moments when they play on their own together without my help - so I can lie about exhausted after 2 years of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: