Talk

Advanced search

Leaving baby/child to sleep in car

(11 Posts)
LittleMonkeysMummy2010 Wed 08-May-13 12:06:44

Me & my husband have noticed a few times that our neighbour will leave her just turned 1 year old in car to sleep & will disappear into house to do whatever. We thought she was just popping in & coming to get her but yesterday was very sunny so me & my mother in law decided to play outside with my son we must have been outside a good 10 minutes before I noticed a little pair of pink shoes in next doors car & realised lil one was asleep in the car with no windows open. We hadn't seen the neighbour so no idea how long she'd been there, she was still there a further 10 minutes when my mother in law left. I would never leave my child to sleep alone in car I leave the doors open while I open & shut the gates.

Is this illegal or am I being an over fussy parent. We live in quite a quiet country village so if I've noticed her who else could have?

Judyandherdreamofhorses Wed 08-May-13 12:20:06

Apart from the windows, I think you're being fussy. Perhaps your child is one who sleeps well. For those who don't, sometimes leaving them in the car is the only way for them to have a nap.

I'm assuming you mean on a private drive, not the street.

5madthings Wed 08-May-13 12:23:31

I leave my toddler to sleep in the car but if it was warm it would be parked in the shade, with window open as they can get hot very quickly.

Depending on where you at it was quite warm yesterday and I wouldn't have left them in the car tbh.

5madthings Wed 08-May-13 12:24:00

Its not illegal tho.

LittleMonkeysMummy2010 Wed 08-May-13 12:26:52

Ok thanks, Yes she's on a private driveway. My son has never slept well when he was napping but i wouldn't leave him in car to sleep as I wouldn't want him to wake up & feel alone & I couldn't hear him. But that's just my way of parenting I guess.

50shadesofbrown Wed 08-May-13 12:32:13

Leaving her to sleep in the car, not a big issue if the car is safe. However leaving the windows shut on a sunny day. Big issue! It can get lethally hot quite quickly if it's in full sun. Maybe she doesn't realise. Perhaps pop round for a chat (make up an excuse) & casually mention that she's forgotten to open a window, see what she says. You'd never forgive yourself if the worst happened & she claims she didn't realise it was dangerous.

MrsB74 Wed 08-May-13 12:49:07

I used to leave my girls sleeping in the car all the time, checking on them every 5 mins. Definitely with the window open on warm days though.

Neiffer Wed 08-May-13 20:47:12

I used to do it with ds all the time until he started waking up when we got home. Our monitor can be unplugged and batteries in so I'd just pop that in car then go inside. We live on an incredibly quiet street though which is a cul de sac and he was right outside house. It was the only way he'd nap for about 6 mths. She may have a monitor in there with temp on like we did...so she'd know if baby was too hot

mummy2benji Fri 10-May-13 16:34:22

I'd never feel comfortable doing that as I'd worry about my dc waking up and crying and my not hearing straight away. I'm also completely paranoid about abduction! I won't even leave my kids in the car when I nip into the local shop. But I know very conscientious mothers who do, it's just a personal choice. But yes, the hot sun and the windows shut is a big issue.

MiaowTheCat Fri 10-May-13 19:40:09

I don't even dare go out on my own in the car with the two girls for fear someone will take offence and report me if I've got one in the car while I take the first one in.

I hope you don't live near me.

wigglesrock Fri 10-May-13 20:08:25

I do it, always have. Are you sure the sunroof wasn't open slightly - the tilt way not the open way if you know what I mean. I open my sunroof a little but you can't tell from the outside of the car.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now