Talk

Advanced search

Dd and her dummy

(8 Posts)
Clandy Wed 08-May-13 11:08:55

Dd1(3) is very attached to her dummy. Until now it had never been an issue, she leaves her dummy on her bed in the morning and she doesn't have it in the day. If she is tired/upset she takes herself off to bed and has a suck then leaves it to get up when she feels better. Recently she is refusing to leave her dummy in her bed and we have screaming paddies about it 3 or 4 times a day. I think it's time for the dummy to go. Any advice on how I go about this??

Bananapickle Wed 08-May-13 11:30:25

I think it depends on the child. With my DD it was just a matter of saying you are a big girl and big girls don't have dummies. After a couple of nights/days she was absolutely fine. She was like your DD and only had it in the bed but then, like your DD, started asking for it at other times.
The other option that some friends have done is putting the dummies in a parcel to 'send' to babies who need them more and then they get 'sent' a present back.
I think it's one of those things that you have to be black and white about. So however you decide to do it I think you have to be prepared for the tears but know that in a day or two your DD will be fine. It is daunting though!

threepiecesuite Wed 08-May-13 11:40:20

We left the dummies in a bag for the dummy fairy when DD was just 3. she got a gift in return. She's been fine without it but does take longer to get to sleep now.

MadamNoo Wed 08-May-13 11:54:03

We also had a visit from the dummy fairy at about that age. I've also heard that if you cut a tiny slit in the bulb it is much less satisfying to suck and might be rejected?

Clandy Wed 08-May-13 12:03:33

Hmm was hoping for a magical solution that involved no crying! wink
How will she settle without it? Also would it be so bad to let her keep it? I know in backtracking now but I don't want her to be sad!

MrsRogerSterling Wed 08-May-13 21:24:50

Oh, I want to say let her keep it, 3 is still so young. She sounds adorable taking herself off to bed when tired/upset.

My dd2 is only 20 months and has a dummy, she is very attached to it, she carries at least 2 about with her most of the time.

Dd1 didn't have a dummy and at 6 still sucks her thumb in bed. Can't take that away!!

2beornot Wed 08-May-13 21:31:06

Dummy fairy here too! She would mention it a lot for the first few days ie "I don't have a dummy now, I'm a big girl". Took about a fortnight until we had a whole day without mentioning it. No tears as such, but you could tell she had to learn to cope without it

I came across her dummies the other day, and felt so wistful!!

Clandy Thu 09-May-13 19:51:02

Today has been better no mention of the dummy so I'm leaning towards letting her keep it. I can't see the harm and she is only a baby really. I still bite my nails for comfort and I'm 25!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now