Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

wee'ing every 10 mins ... what to do ??

(9 Posts)
rockyroadahead Wed 08-May-13 09:08:19

ds is 2.6 we started potty training about 6 days ago we have pretty much stayed in but I am finding that he just doesn't seem to be understanding it ..

he keeps saying 'I have poo'd' when he only done a wee and he is going every 15 mins in little spurts I have been patient and not shown any disappointment when he has an accident , and he has had rewards of sweeties for dry pants but he is still not telling me when he needs to go most of the time except by holding himself and looking a bit worried and I rush him off to the toilet...

yesterday at school the teacher phoned to say he is just weeing without mentioning it and doesn't seem to even be too bothered that he is wetting himself ... and went 4 times in 1 hour .

I have kept him off school today to concentrate on his toilet times a bit more
I am not sure where to go from here I don't want to give up and go back to nappys but am worried we have started too young !! or do we need to give him just a little more time and stay patient? how to I help him to understand ?

QTPie Wed 08-May-13 10:47:44

Sounds like he is too young to be perfectly honest: that he doesn't have control of it yet. If you are not seeing things "generally moving in a positive direction", then go back to nappies or maybe "pull up pants" (then he can start trying to pull them down and use the potty).

What were his nappies like just before you started trying to train? We're they often wet or were they dry for long periods?

rockyroadahead Wed 08-May-13 10:51:46

i think they were mostly wet to be honest ..he is able to stop weeing when he starts but i am not sure he knows how to hold it in to get to the loo ... i am so worried about the psychological effects of having to put him back into nappies

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Wed 08-May-13 10:54:13

Is he 2.6? It's just you say he's at school?

Sounds to me like he's not physically ready. They have to reach the point of being able to concentrate the wee and this is a physical change in hormones you cannot encourage or teach. When in nappies can he go a good while without a wet one? If not, give up for a while.

Strongly recommend this book to show a less stressful approach. Worked brilliantly for my 2 yr old DS who potty trained in less than a week, but we'd done lots of the suggested preparation first. Don't worry, it's a short book, no repetitive padding! Basically you do it in stages rather than cold turkey.

QTPie Wed 08-May-13 11:09:51

To be honest, if he is really not ready, then going back to nappies will be a relief to both if you... No damage done.

My DS is 3 years 3 months. He toilet trained in a week at 2 years 9 months and has had a handful of accidents in those 6 months - very good. However he has been saving his poos for his nap/bedtime nappy for the past 6 months - haven't been able to get him to poo in the toilet (well less than a handful in 6 months!). Last week we went completely cold turkey on nap/night time nappies... (To try to tackle the poos). Interestingly it seems to have worked for the poos (after 4 days of no nappies, and no poos, at all he did a poo in the toilet!). He was having accidents at night, though. We have put him back in nappies at night (only so much bedding you can wash especially when your house is on the market!(, BUT he has only done poos in the toilet since and he hasn't had an accident during his afternoon nap (am keeping him in pants then). Putting him back in nappies at night is just sensible (he just can't go the whole night yet) and won't be detrimental...

rockyroadahead Thu 09-May-13 07:38:40

thanx for all the advice i managed to get in touch with the HV and she said that we should give it a bit more time so i have kept him off pre school only 2 sessions for the next few days and will make a decision Mon night as to weather he is going back to school in nappies or pants

he did a lot better yesterday only had 2 accidents (one was a poop) but before he poo'd we had to run to the toilet 4 times in an hour for a wee until the poo eventually came .

HV suggested putting him on potty after every meal and sleep for next couple of days and recommended a website called ERIC that i am just about to take a butchers at .

i did have a frustrating call from the the school yesterday to see why he was off and who said he should have got it by now and she has 4 boys and were all potty trained within a week , she seemed less interested in his wellbeing and more in just getting him back to school. she was neither helpful or supportive (just needed a quick vent on that one as i was very surprised )

valiumredhead Thu 09-May-13 13:48:24

What is the rush? He's not ready by the sounds of things, put him back in nappies and just sit him on the potty/toilet after getting up/meals and before going out/bedtime.

Take it slowly. He'll get the hang of it eventually smile

QuietNinjaTardis Fri 10-May-13 18:04:10

It really doesn't sound like he's ready. Put him back in nappies and leave it a couple of months.

Sleepwhenidie Fri 10-May-13 18:09:27

Why are you doing it now? Has he shown any sign that he is ready? Because he really doesn't sound it. Trying to force this before he is ready is seriously going to be a very long battle that will make your lives miserable and you will not win. Just because some children are trained at 2 doesn't mean all will be or should be. When he shows you lots of signs that he is ready, then go for it. I wouldn't start to worry about it until he is more like 3.5yrs old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now