Talk

Advanced search

Other mums do not ask my son out

(5 Posts)
braceet Tue 07-May-13 12:28:37

I am a single mum, and I work full time, I have a son who is 11 years old.
He often asks his freinds over to our house at weekends and in the holidays. I often take these freinds swimming, to the beach or just have them over to my house and give them lunch etc.
This all costs money, and a couple of the mums will put a tenner in my when I drop the kids off. To be honest it makes me feel like a baby sitter.
Not ONE of the mothers have ever asked my son back, EVER.
My son is a normal kid, not badly behaved, so I am getting more and more angry at me having to do eveything. A couple of the mums have time and money to spare, one just plays golf all day, and the other mum although she works, has a partner who could help out.
One of the boys comes from a very poor family, so at first was glad to take him out and feed him - but he now just asks for food and expects to be taken out and gets annoyed if we dont stop off at a cafe on the way home. he also steals from our house. His mother has never thanked me - not once.
If I dont arrange to have these children over to my house or to take them out and about - my son would have no freinds at all, except for those he sees at school ini school time.

QuintessentialOHara Tue 07-May-13 12:31:43

"If I dont arrange to have these children over to my house or to take them out and about - my son would have no freinds at all, except for those he sees at school ini school time."

Sounds like my son.

We have had plenty of kids back at ours. Birthday parties. DS has been invited to just one birthday (excluding the sleepover the other boys stayed for but my son was not invited to), and not been to anybodys house.

To be honest, they are not real friends. I would just stop inviting them and ensure his time is filled with activities. Like a sport?

rubyrubyruby Tue 07-May-13 12:36:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

braceet Tue 07-May-13 13:02:17

Ruby, not really... as we live in small villages, so it all has to done in a car mainly, dropping off and picking up, I even have to do that, both ways. The ones who live near us always end up at my house and always end up having lunch/ tea with us. One of the boys even though his parents are well off never let any child in their house (I think because she likes it to be kept quiet and pristine, and she does not want the hassle)

braceet Fri 10-May-13 09:21:39

I have stopped inviting them now...and he doesnt see anyone anymore, I know the kids involved dont go out much at all now, which is a shame. I manage to fill our time by trips to London and outings to the beach, without his friends. I think the parents are too ashamed to phone us.
Hopefully he'll find new freinds in his secondary school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now