Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Poor DS, I've made him ill...

(10 Posts)
wibblyjelly Sat 04-May-13 22:44:58

I've had a rotten cold the last couple of days, extremely sore throat, runny nose, generally feeling bunged up and u dear the weather.
7 month old ds has been very restless tonight, and crying. When I was settling him earlier, I could hear he was all bunged IP.
I know that I can't stop ds getting ill, and I'm sure he will pass plenty on to me, but I feel guilty. Probably as I know how rotten I feel, and I don't want ds to feel like that. Oh well, I'm on standby with plenty of cuddles for him tonight sad

jkklpu Sat 04-May-13 22:47:30

That's the best thing for both of you. If he's really congested, he may want to sleep on you with his head slightly higher than his feet; you can also put 2 thick books under the feet of one end of his cot so the head-end is raised. Take care of yourselves.

DeepPurple Sat 04-May-13 22:58:44

It's really not your fault. He probably feels far better than you did! It amazes me how well Dd copes with colds that completely flatten me. It really won't be long before you are cursing him for giving you a rotten cold every few months, especially if he goes to nursery! My DH used to bang on about how colds aren't that bad and people who ring in sick for a cold are just being lazy - until we had Dd. Oh the colds she has given us!
Really don't be so hard on yourself smile

DeepPurple Sat 04-May-13 22:59:50

Get some snuffle babes - it's a vapour rub for little ones. Rub it on his feet and put socks on. Sounds crazy but it really works!

marriednotdead Sat 04-May-13 23:07:26

My sympathies to you both, it feels awful but it truly can't be helped. You will probably feel far worse than he does!

My youngest is 16 and currently recovering from the flu that I gave him, despite my best efforts no to. Fortunately it has landed in the week that he hasn't got any exams which makes me feel a little better.

wibblyjelly Sat 04-May-13 23:18:59

Thanks for all the kind reassurance. I know its irrational to feel guilty, but I hate not seeing him 100%. It doesn't help that we are at the in-laws, so he's not in his own room, and the neighbours are having a BBQ. He's just had a small feed, and currently is asleep on me.

StitchAteMySleep Sat 04-May-13 23:23:37

If he is really bad sitting in the bathroom with the shower or bath running on hot (door closed) to build up steam helps. Saline nasal drops are also good and a bulb nasal aspirator to suck out the mucus. You can put breastmilk up his nose too if no saline.

gallicgirl Sat 04-May-13 23:27:32

Don't feel bad. Once he gets to nursery he'll be passing the germs onto you!

Startail Sat 04-May-13 23:31:36

Yes he'll get his own back.

DD2's best was to get conjunctivitis which she got over really quickly and it was me who had to go crawling puffy eyed to the doctor.

wibblyjelly Sun 05-May-13 07:50:24

Once I'd settled him at 11pm, he then slept till 7:30 this morning, and is a very happy chappy this morning. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now