Talk

Advanced search

potty training - guidance please?

(6 Posts)
omama Sat 04-May-13 14:56:26

Posted on potty training board but no reply so trying here

Ds is 2.8 & was showing all the signs of being ready, telling me when he's done something, staying dry for hours, wanting to sit on potty at nursery etc so thought i'd give it a go.

Now on day 4 & so far zero success on potty. Day 1 he was very enthusiastic as i gave a sticker as a reward for trying. By day 3 he was sitting on potty for a couple of seconds, not doing anything, then demanding a sticker, so bribe backfiring! Decided to tell him stickers were for wees on potty but now he's reluctant to even go on it & is just messing all over. Each accident seems to happen at a time when i'm busy eg in shower, cooking etc so cant get him on potty in time. I'm keeping upbeat with a 'never mind, next time lets try & get it in the potty' but he doesnt seem to be getting it.

I've been leaving it to him to tell me he needs a wee rather than sit him on potty every 30mins (as the more i ask the more he says no) - but am now worried this may have been the wrong approach.

Is this what happens for most people or does it sound like he's still not ready?

Do other people completely abandon doing anything else whatsoever in order to watch their lo's like a hawk? How long can i expect to be doing this & who the hell cooks, cleans, tidies while i do it?

Jinty64 Sat 04-May-13 20:07:42

Four days of zero success would suggest to me that he is not ready. I would go back to nappies or pull ups for a bit. I started early with ds1 and persevered and it took months. I let ds's 2 and 3 train themselves when they were ready and it was so much easier (a couple of days).

omama Sun 05-May-13 20:51:12

Thanks. We did another day but still no success so its back to nappies. Everyone is relieved!!

MaryRobinson Sun 05-May-13 22:10:59

With a step could he aim for the big toilet? With an insert for poos?

omama Mon 06-May-13 09:02:38

Mary We already have a toilet seat & step, same scenario as potty. He cant tell me he needs to go so not able to practice aiming yet!

HPsauceonbaconbuttiesmmm Mon 06-May-13 09:50:52

I can't recommend this book on potty training boys highly enough. It gives you the steps to take before getting rid of the nappy, how to tell when theyre ready, and how to fit potty training in around normal life. The bits before really set up actual potty training, so well that DS managed within a week just after he turned 2.

I also recommend this book for your DS before you try again.

Good luck! It's worth the effort. It's a very proud day when they take themselves off to the toilet by themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now