Talk

Advanced search

Measles: how much immunity have I given DD?

(11 Posts)
stowsettler Thu 02-May-13 20:59:58

She is 9 weeks old and we live in the Swansea area. I had measles as a child and BF DD for 3.5 weeks but then had to stop for various reasons.
She's been a little poorly today and I'm worried it could be measles. But she has received some immunity from me hasn't she? She's still feeding reasonably well and lots of wet nappies.
Do any of you ladies know how well she'll be protected? TIA xx

Notsoyummymummy1 Thu 02-May-13 21:07:05

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/939.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=135 This page might help x

stowsettler Thu 02-May-13 21:12:07

Thank you! That has set my mind at rest a little. It's likely just a bit of a cold x

topsi Fri 03-May-13 16:16:34

So you had her vaccinated?

stowsettler Sat 04-May-13 19:07:00

Er no - she's 9 weeks old. She'll have her 1st MMR at 6 months, earlier than the norm but that's what they're doing round here to ensure very small children are completely safe. Then the normal MMR jabs, the first of which is at 12 months old.

TreeLuLa Sat 04-May-13 19:08:17

Here I think the first vaccinations are at 6 weeks!

Is it different where you are?

mrsminiverscharlady Sat 04-May-13 19:09:10

First vaccinations aren't for MMR TreeLuLa

stowsettler Sat 04-May-13 20:11:08

Obviously she's had her 1st imms. Normal 1st MMR is at 13 months to be exact but due to the epidemic children in my area are having an extra one at 6 months. According to the article kindly posted above if the mother is immune to measles (either from having had it or from having the MMR), the immunity is passed to the child in utero and lasts about a year. The early extra one being offered around here is to make doubly sure.

brettgirl2 Mon 06-May-13 07:54:26

I don't like to scare monger but if you Google measles babies immunity (am on phone so can't do links)there is a link to a telegraph article which cites research that does not back up the NHS' s claims of 12 months at all. In fact it lasts 1-4 months on average and less in vaccinated mothers than those with natural immunity. Even more surprising was that breastfeeding didn't seem to make a difference. If you are worried I would take your baby to out of hours.

stowsettler Mon 06-May-13 20:54:08

Thanks. She's fine now. I believe that no immunity is 100% with measles but at least the immunity I passed on is natural. At the end of the day if she's going to get it there's nothing I can do to prevent it at her age. But realistically I think it's unlikely.

soapboxqueen Mon 06-May-13 21:00:33

I think immunity from mum only last about 6 to 12 months depending on the child and if the mother had actual measles or an immunisation. Still being immune from mum would actually stop the vaccine from working which is why they wait until they know most children aren't covered anymore before they give the vaccination. This is also why giving the vaccine at 6 months has to be on addition to the normal schedule as there is a possibility the immunity won't last as long as the ones given at the normal time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now