Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for playing with a 3 month old?

(8 Posts)
DribbleWiper Thu 02-May-13 13:54:52

Currently, when we're not out somewhere or she's sleeping, DD and I read a couple of books together a day, she plays on her playmat (with music and lots of different hanging toys), we occasionally dance around the floor to some music and I put her on the bed on her front to practise trying to roll.

What else could I be doing to entertain her and/or help her development/have fun? Any cracking suggestions to help me/her (but mainly me) avoid boredom?

Thanks!

wrinklyraisin Thu 02-May-13 14:09:07

Sounds like plenty! All babies that little need is physical contact, eye contact, hearing you, being in nature and fresh air. They've got years of deliberate stimulation ahead. Normal day to day life is good enough at this stage. She is learning about her place in the world and everything is new and interesting and wonderful. Don't stress yourself out over trying to do everything too soon. Enjoy her smile

DribbleWiper Thu 02-May-13 14:24:12

Thanks, wrinkly, but by 'normal day to day life', what exactly do you mean? Just her sitting in her bouncer watching me?

wrinklyraisin Thu 02-May-13 14:52:13

Pretty much lol... No seriously, go for walks, hang out in different rooms and places, go shopping or to cafes. Don't base your every move on stimulating or entertaining her. She will learn enough just through being carted around iykwim. I've worked with infants and toddlers for over 15yrs now and the most self sufficient and "easy" children are the ones that did not have constant attention and activities shoved in their faces. The best skill you can teach your little one is to entertain herself and be curious and explore her world without needing constant pandering to. That's not to say you should ignore her, definitely not. Sing and talk as much as you can. But also let her watch her surroundings in peace. Most babies will happily lay under a tree and watch the leaves in the breeze, or people watching on a stroll round the shops. Anything you can do to show her the wonders of the world around her is good. Reading is great, playing with her is great, so is just letting her "be" while you read, or cook, or nap in front of daytime tv. Too many mums put too much pressure on themselves IMO. Just love her and enjoy her and you can't go wrong smile

AnathemaDevice Thu 02-May-13 19:09:49

I've got a 3 month old too, and his favourite thing is watching his older brother and sister play. Could you go and sit in the park so she can people watch?

His second favourite thing is sitting in his bouncy chair in the garden, watching the washing on the line.

I agree with not over stimulating. I qas in DS1s face all the time, and he's quite high maintenance/attention seeking now at 4 years old. I was much more relaxed with DD, and she's always been quite happy to potter about and keep herself amused. Could just be a coincidence though.

DribbleWiper Fri 03-May-13 20:52:58

My main issue is with going out every day, as we're in a 2nd floor flat and it's quite tough physically lugging everything + DD up and down the stairs.

We don't have a garden and no older siblings. I think you're both right about not overstimulating - I've been trying to leave DD to her own devices more the last couple of days and it's really surprising how long she'll go without screaming for attention.

More ideas for what to do at home when I am interracting with her would be appreciated, though. I was really looking for more of a variety of things to do together when we're not out.

CreatureRetorts Fri 03-May-13 21:44:42

You'll drive yourself mad trying to play games etc with a small baby. when you're home, do stuff around the house. Do you have any hobbies? A 3 month old can only watch and listen.

Do you have a sling? That's easier for getting out!

eltsihT Sat 04-May-13 10:52:45

When my son was littler, and we were in just the two of us, I would do lots of nursery rhymes, especially ones with actions, pull funny faces, songs. Would also bake, I love baking and would talk to him about everything. He is 2 now and I still narrate my day to him.

Agree with doing household chores and just having a one sided conversation about what you are doing and why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now