Talk

Advanced search

Can 15mo dd2 go in forward facing car seat?

(11 Posts)
TickledYonion Wed 01-May-13 22:22:41

Dd2 is 15mo and is on 50th centile for height but only 9th for weight. She's still in the baby car sear though her legs are dangling off the end. Is it safe for her to move up into a normal forward facing carseat if she only weighs 8.3kg?

PoppyWearer Wed 01-May-13 22:26:45

How is her head in relation to the top of the seat?

TickledYonion Wed 01-May-13 22:29:32

It's not at the top yet. I think she just has long legs.

MinnesotaNice Wed 01-May-13 22:33:33

Whether she can stay in her current seat depends on whether she has outgrown it by height or weight limits, her legs dangling off the end doesn't limit the seat.

Why rear-facing is better

Karoleann Wed 01-May-13 22:33:39

That's a really difficult one, all mine have been in front facing since 12months, but they're all big for their age.

Is she happy in her rear facin? If she is I'd be tempted to keep her in that one.

TickledYonion Wed 01-May-13 22:37:00

She's comfortable in it but I think she gets bored of just staring at the back of the seat.

Tinkerisdead Wed 01-May-13 22:38:17

God i nearly posted this exact question. My dd is 15mo and 8.2kg(9th centile too) shes not dangling out of it but it was dd1's seat 4.5 years ago so its trashed now and i'm starting to worry about the safety of the seat based on its age. (And the fact its caked in two kids worth of extended use of milk and biscuits).

patchesmcp Thu 02-May-13 09:03:31

Group 1 car seats have a minimum weight limit of 9kg so to move her you'd have to get a 0+/1 car seat which would last until she's 18kg.

These type of car seats are used rear facing until the child hits 13kg and then forward facing until 18kg.

She is much safer being rf than ff so I'd keep her rf for as long as possible.

CreatureRetorts Thu 02-May-13 09:08:32

I thought forward facing was from 9kg?

I'm in a similar position. I'm keeping dd (she's my second) rear facing for as long as possible. She's very slight and fits her seat fine. Safety is more important than her view! She is happy enough in the car - she can see her brother and we have one of those mirrors.

patchesmcp Thu 02-May-13 10:19:51

Creature it depends on the seat. The majority of group 1 car seats are ff from 9kg but there are some (Besafe Izi Combi x3 and the Britax two way elite to name two) which are rf from that weight range. Or you can get a 0+/1 which does both rf from birth to 13kg and ff from then until 18kg such as the Britax first class plus or Maxi Cosi Opal.

I ended up getting the first two seats (Besafe and Britax) because I had the opposite problem to you - DS was huge for his age and grew out of his infant carrier at 6 months as the straps wouldn't fit round him. I didn't want him ff at that age so we got those two seats.

Our next problem is that he is due to hit the max weight limit for the Besafe in about 6 months when he will be 2.9 so we're having to think about a group 2 car seat from then. Unfortunately, they don't have an integral harness so he will be ff and secured using the adult seatbelt which will be interesting...hmm

estya Thu 02-May-13 13:19:49

Just to follow on about the view for a child that is rear facing. In most cars/seats they are actually looking out of the rear window and rf group 1 kids get a better view than ff-ers do. Especially if you remove the head rests from the back seats.
There are lots of pictures of the view from a erf g1 seat on the Facebook page 'rear facing the way forward'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now