Talk

Advanced search

help - 5yr old dd rages

(4 Posts)
NicknameTaken Wed 01-May-13 14:08:47

DD can be perfectly delightful at school and at home, then on going to bed, on three occasions recently she has suddenly flown into a terrifying rage, physically punching and kicking and hitting me.

I think it's largely to do with her contact with exH. The man is a bully, and thought I don't think his behaviour crosses the line into abuse (according to a social worker's report), he is very repressive and she would never be allowed to cry or strop around him. I'm "safer", so I get it all.

Any advice on how to handle it? I want her to know it's okay to be angry, but I don't want to be her punch bag. Practical strategies welcome - I think I need to get her to bed earlier as over-tiredness doesn't help.

In an ideal world I'd be reducing contact with her father, but after a long hard legal fight there's not much I can do on that score.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 01-May-13 21:52:57

You have my sympathies as my 5yo can get a bit angry when tired too.

Will watch with interest.

NicknameTaken Thu 02-May-13 09:35:55

Thanks, JJJ. She had an earlier night last night and it was much better. I may be over-thinking the father connection when it was just over-tiredness.

frazmum Sat 04-May-13 05:08:10

I'd look at strategies to see if you can help her settle at night. Then if they don't work or flare up after seeing her dad you'll know whether that is the problem or more of an over-tired little girl. It could be that school is a bit full on at the moment. If you can after school get her into a routine that works for her. With mine it is afternoon tea, some chill out time in front of TV, park or playing inside, dinner, bath, milk & cookie then bed. We've found when they're younger (I have 4) that on school nights a routine ans set bedtime helps at least reduce bedtime meltdown.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now