Talk

Advanced search

Morning routine with newborn and school age child?

(10 Posts)
philbee Wed 01-May-13 09:44:55

What's yours? DH will be back at work soon and I just can't figure out how to do the morning routine, particularly. DD1 needs to leave house by 8.45 for school. I normally wake her about 7.45. Baby isn't in any routine, but has happened to be asleep about that time last few mornings but due a feed. DH will need to leave by 8/8.30 I think. Do I wake the baby to feed her? Try to have a shower? School is only 5 mins walk away.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Wed 01-May-13 10:02:29

for us, for the first few months at least, DS2 was in bed/in his sleepsuit
I had a shower before DH left for work, he did DS1 breakfast
DS2 got morning milk before we set off - he always wanted boob on waking but sometimes it was a little shorter than he would have liked.

Back home... baby time. till 3pm

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 01-May-13 10:08:12

I always got up before the kids and had a shower and dressed before waking them, breakfast/milk then leave for school at 8.20, in July I'll have a newborn, 3 year old and 8 year old, if the baby happens to be asleep I'll just put in car seat and take a bottle stopping after drop off to feed if necessary if not will feed on return from school. My dp works away or if local leaves between 5 and 6am so no help from him.

Iwantmybed Wed 01-May-13 10:19:23

I feel for you OP. My DD was born the week that DD1 started reception, it was crazy. My routine if it helps was up at 7, feed baby, then shower and wake DD1 to get ready. Breakfast / lunches then out by 8.40 gives plenty of time for inevitable messing around. Now DD2 is older I shower, dress first and feed DD2 whilst DD1 is eating her breakfast.

RightUpMyRue Wed 01-May-13 10:32:06

I have a 3 week old and a 10 year old. Our mornings have gone something like this:

Bath night before once baby is settled.
Make packed lunches night before.
All clothes out and ready, bags, PE kits etc ready to go the night before.
Feed baby whilst still in bed between 7-7.30am then leave him in bed with DP.
Get DD up and go down to have brekkie with her.
Back upstairs at 8 to get dressed.
8.20 feed the baby some more while DD does her hair and fannies around finishes getting ready.
8.35-40 leave the house.

Brownowlahi Wed 01-May-13 12:52:12

I had a newborn, a 2 year old and a dc in reception. I used to make sure baby was feeding by 7am. Then get everyone dressed (clothes out the night before). Baby left in baby grow, but obv nappy change. Breakfast for older ones, while I did packed lunches, get everything on the buggy. Teeth and faces washed, coats on and out the door by 8.30. Even now baby is 2, I don't sit down in the morning. I find it takes longer to sit and eat my breakfast than it does to eat it on the go and I don't have the time to spare. Also no tv until they are completely ready for school, it's slows them down to much. Do as much as you can the night before is possibly the best advice I can give you. You'll find your own routine as you go along and it will soon become second nature.

mummy2benji Wed 01-May-13 13:27:52

When dd2 was very small she would feed around 6am, which then meant I could get up at 7am, get dressed myself and then wake ds1 at 7.30am. Give him a bottle of milk (he was nearly 4 but has had feeding difficulties), get him dressed, brush teeth then give him some breakfast before leaving the house with the 2 of them at 8.40am.

Dd2's morning feed gradually got later, so now that she is 6mo I am getting up at 7am, getting myself ready, feeding dd2 at 7.30am while ds1 has his milk too (all of us in front of cbeebies - sorry I know that will horrify some of you but needs must), then pop her in her chair while I get ds1 ready, give him breakfast then out the door. Often one of them will need a poo / just poo right before we need to leave the house and then the carefully constructed regime falls apart wink

babyphat Wed 01-May-13 20:44:38

Lots of good stuff here, my thing was no breakfast till dressed - can always eat en route if need be. And is a good way to motivate dd1 to get ready. Def no tv until ready. just clean nappy for baby - not new clothes. I preferred to shower so I could go on to places after school run but our school is about 20 mins away.
Also, school dinners. Getting everyone's clothes out the night before. And toothbrushing stuff downstairs so no wasting time going back up after breakfast. Good luck!

philbee Sat 04-May-13 04:25:03

Thank you all. We did a run through today and I think we can work it out so no one has to get up super early (unless of course it's one of the DDs!). DD1 can dress and wash herself with some chivvying, and doesn't need help with eating breakfast etc. This morning I was able to do most of it without DH's help.

Jinty64 Sat 04-May-13 08:35:34

I preferred to stick a track suit on, throw baby in pram with dummy in situ in night clothes and take boys to school (5 minute walk). Then come home, bath, dress and feed baby and put for nap. Then shower and have breakfast and occasional nap myself. I felt quite resentful if I had to go on anywhere from the school run. It spoilt my routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now