Talk

Advanced search

Help dd has inhaled gas

(10 Posts)
Wannabestepfordwife Tue 30-Apr-13 17:23:00

Really really worried we have a gas stove had dd 10 months in bouncer in kitchen with me while cooking I turned the gas on and the stove didn't light properly so we both inhaled gas for a few minutes. Have opened all doors and windows and taken her upstairs. Will she be ok

lborolass Tue 30-Apr-13 17:26:56

Not a medical person at all but I wouldn't worry, afaik if you're in the UK gas for the cooker is harmless to breathe in. Now worried that I'm a terrible parent as it woouldn't have occured to me to be concerned - I hope I'm right.

Wannabestepfordwife Tue 30-Apr-13 17:27:55

I think I'm maybe over reacting a bit I hope

lborolass Tue 30-Apr-13 17:32:48

Just to satisfy my own curiousity I googled to see if I could find an answer and I didn't have much luck - the dangers I could find seem to be for combustion and carbon monoxide poisoning from prolonged leaks.

Hopefully an expert can give us an answer - I think you've done the right thing, I'm sure all will be fine

fridayfreedom Tue 30-Apr-13 17:36:33

Pretty certain it's harmless these days as long as it's not lit!!

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Apr-13 17:40:47

It's non-toxic, you can't kill yourself by sticking your head in the oven any more!

Madlizzy Tue 30-Apr-13 17:41:54

You're overreacting a lot, but that's allowed. All is fine. smile

Wannabestepfordwife Tue 30-Apr-13 17:57:29

Thank you for all your replies I have calmed down now I'm a bit of an over anxious first time mum at times as you can tell

YBR Tue 30-Apr-13 21:39:47

The Gas itself is not toxic (although the odourant is fairly nasty in high concentration I gather) but if you were to breathe only gas, you'd not get enough oxygen. The amount a stove produces will not change the concentration of oxygen in the room significantly in that time.
Thus no need to worry.

specialsubject Wed 01-May-13 21:32:34

the 'head in the oven' toxic gas stopped coming through the pipes by the 1970s. Natural gas (what you get now) is non-toxic, it is only dangerous if you light it.

you are both absolutely fine. Do some research when littl'un is in bed - and if the stove keeps doing this, get it fixed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now