Talk

Advanced search

When did your lo transition to 3 meals a day ??

(7 Posts)
mumtosp Sun 28-Apr-13 16:33:15

Hi all,

DS is 6 months and 3 weeks and we are introducing solids very slowly as he also has eczema so we have to introduce something new and wait and see if he has a reaction over the next 2 days. Till now DS has only been having solids at lunch time. From today we will also be introducing solids for dinner.
How soon did your lo transition to 3 meals a day? Are we going at the right pace or is it too fast or slow ?
Also, did you give your lo fruit with every meal ? Right now DS has either mashed veg or fruit but not both together...

Also, any ideas for breakfast ... I am thinking that he will be having 3 meals in a few weeks time. Do you give weetabix in breastmilk ? I'm very apprehensive about inroducing yogurt because of his eczema...

Thanks in advance for all your help.... just need to be assured I'm doing the right thing smile

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 28-Apr-13 16:37:28

Dd1 was on three meals a day at 5 months. Dd2 however did t actually eat a proper meal three times a day til 8/9 months. There's no rules really just go with what feels right to you and with your babies appetite. Dd1 was hungry its what she wanted. Dd2 just wanted to try little bits and stick to milk.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Sun 28-Apr-13 16:39:57

Breakfast was usually porridge or ready brek with fruit purée. Mix with whatever milk or substitute you want. Pancakes or toast with soft cheese or nut butters or marmite are good for finger food style breakfasts. French toast always went down well too. Scrambled egg,

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 18:05:48

I put dd onto three meals after a week of intro nibbles. This is right. Going slowly is also right. grin
What you are doing is fine if you think this is best for dc eczema risk.
For breakfast I give porridge, porridge fingers or wheatabix. I use full cows milk despite a string dh eczema, but if I could be bothered to express bm I would. Your dc will probably enjoy the transition more with bm.
Good luck, and go with what feels right.

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 18:07:15

Oh, and my dd has fruit as pudding with lunch and dinner, just because she really likes it. This is even if the only she has eaten as main is veg.

mummy2benji Sun 28-Apr-13 23:12:54

My dd2 is just over 6 months and we are on one solid meal a day, and she isn't really having more than a few spoonfuls each time either. She has been having lots of tastes for the past 2 weeks but is a little nonplussed about actually eating much. I have been giving her some finger foods to try / play with too and yesterday she loved sucking on a banana. It's slow progress but hopefully moving in the right direction. Ds1 had feeding difficulties for which he was in and out of hospital and didn't even start on solids until 15 months. So I know that a baby can grow and develop fine on just milk until 15 months at least. He is now a healthy 4 1/2 year old. So don't rush it, don't feel pressured to go at other people's pace, just do what is right for your baby and if your ds takes a while a take to solids properly that is absolutely fine. It sounds like he's doing well though.

mumtosp Mon 29-Apr-13 10:21:00

Thanks all for sharing your experiences smile
DS gulped down an entire bowl of apple puree for dinner last night and wanted more ! So I guess we are on 2 meals a day from now on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now