Talk

Advanced search

Naps for 6 month old -morning nap too long? transitioning from 3 to 2 naps ?

(7 Posts)
Hannah052012 Sun 28-Apr-13 12:02:42

Hi there, I wonder if anyone would offer me some advice -
I'm currently struggling with my DD's daytime naps. She used to take 30-40 minute naps after 90-120 mins of being awake; that was our 'routine'. However she can now, more often than not, go through more than one sleep cycle at naptime - meaning no more 1/2 hour naps (hooray!) She now sleeps for 1 1/2 - 2 hours for her morning nap, approx 9-11am, then does the same at around 1:30pm. It's bliss having this time to chill out and/or do some jobs around the house. The problems start around teatime though - having been awake since around 3:30pm, she's very cranky and really needs a little catnap just to tide her over until bedtime, but this has been a real struggle lately - we usually take her for a walk/drive to help her to sleep at this time but even that's failing now. Although the walk does chill her out a bit (we think!) The result is a very tearful struggle at bedtime, she's so overtired that it can take literally hours to settle her - by 9:30pm she's usually asleep, which makes her usual 10:30pm dreamfeed a bit tricky, and it's also made her far more likely to have an unsettled night's sleep. It would seem that she is getting her full quota of daytime sleep from just two naps now, but is still too young to go for a long stretch from last nap to bedtime. In short, we think she's transitioning to two naps, just a little too early. Do you think -would shortening her first nap help by bringing her lunchtime nap forwards slightly, meaning there is more time left for a late afternoon catnap, which she may also be more receptive to if she has slept for fewer hours already that day? The other option is an early bedtime but this hasn't worked for us. Before this issue arose she seemed very settled with a bedtime around 8pm. Any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 16:22:05

I have just read the gina ford and doctor Ferber sleep books because my 11 month old has started waking at a ridiculous hour, but that's a different story....

How many hours a day does she sleep and what time does she wake up in the morning?

GingerDoodle Sun 28-Apr-13 17:12:12

My DD has done something similar; will go for 1 x 1 hour nap around 8 - 9am and 1 x 1 1/2 - 2 hour nap at 12 - 1pm and then a short one around 4.30pm (usually 1/2 hour). She's then good to eat with us and goes down for the night around 7.30 - 8pm.

I won't normally put her in the cot for her last nap as I feel its too late in the day (but did funnily enough yesterday and she was fine). I find in the buggy she likes a hood or hat that she can pull over her face to drop off.

There is a big growth spurt around the 6 month mark so it may be worth waiting it out as it may correct itself.

Hope that helps.

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 18:01:34

Can you push the second nap a little later so you get the crankiness earlier in the day (which for me would be better than cranky at bedtime.) the reason I suggest this is that if you wake dc from the first nap she might get out of her habit of sleeping for longer.

I am muchly jealous btw, my dd only does half an hour naps, mostly on me. Looking forward to having a bit longer.

Hannah052012 Sun 28-Apr-13 20:53:09

Thanks for your replies.

GiveMeVegemite: she wakes around 7am, and usually totals around 3 - 3 1/2 hours naptime, which I think is about right for her age, it's just the timing/spacing of them that doesn't seem to be working atm.

GingerDoodle: Your schedule sounds perfect - did you have to cut short your DD's first nap in order to acheive it?

Nicknamefail: Thanks for your suggestion - it's an idea that we hadn't thought of ourselves. You're right, day crankiness is (marginally) more brearable than bedtime crankiness! And I'm guessing that, with time, she'll grow into those slightly longer awake times. How old is your DD? Ours had mostly short naps for a long time but I've read that around 6 months is the time that they start to nap a bit longer - fingers crossed for you!

CreatureRetorts Sun 28-Apr-13 21:02:19

What time is tea and bedtime? I'd go for tea around half 4, bedtime by 6.30.

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 21:49:55

Dd is 6 1/2 mo, so I am fingers crossed too that she might change suddenly soon. she still wakes up lots at night to feed so maybe I should focus on sorting that out first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now