Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to ask more about this concept of limiting screen time?

(16 Posts)
ParmaViolette Sun 28-Apr-13 10:46:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I just think that too much 'technology' restricts the brain from developing in other areas, reading, imagination, and creative stuff that is not on a screen opens the mind. I hate seeing people sitting round texting or reading off their phones when they are out, where is the art of conversation, Yes these 'gadgets' can be very educational but should not be the be all and end all. There is such a thing as fresh air and exercise too. Its too easy to sit still and play now.

princessj29 Sun 28-Apr-13 11:40:18

TV turns my 5 year old into a lethargic zombie. It makes her spaced out and moody, hence why she barely watches any. Plus I think there are a million better things children could be doing and allowing children so much screen time (there was a feature in The Sun the other day about children having 4 hours+ per day) is just plain lazy parenting

nokidshere Sun 28-Apr-13 12:08:41

Well obviously the powers that be don't have a problem with it or my two sons wouldn't have spent the last 3 hours doing their homework on the pc's!!!!!

VinegarDrinker Sun 28-Apr-13 12:13:03

It seems quite addictive, for want of a better word, in a way that kids seem to ask for more and more and more. I can recognise the same in myself. It's easier, mentally, than getting off your bum and actually doing something.

We don't have a particular time limit but are definitely aware that more screen time tends to lead to worse behaviour, in our house at least. I deleted the one kids app I had on my phone because of the horrific tantrums when I said time was up.

CatherineHMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 28-Apr-13 12:44:52

Hi - we'll move this in a moment to parenting - as it's not an AIBU.

veryberrybug Sun 28-Apr-13 12:52:55

i limit screen time for myself & my DDs, because though there are benefits from technology there are also costs. as above said it is not developing the brain. on the technical side: in the under 3's there are millions of neural connections being made at a rate faster than any other time in life, and how many connections are made at this age determine the ability to improve brain function in later life; it's like a window of opportunity& if missed, you can't go back. these connections are made from real interaction with people: facial expressions, talking etc. telly may have some interactive games etc but it's just not the same as a real person. so it's really important to have real interaction at an early age and then throughout life, it's how we develop & learn best (understanding, vocabulary, morals, how things work, etc). on the personal side: having said that, we do watch telly & play computer games in our house and it has benefits: when the kids are really tired just before teatime & i'm cooking so not able to give them 100% attention, it's a nice way for them to be entertained when they're less able to negociate in play without bickering, just because they're knackered after school. i watch & learn from interesting documentaries. sometimes i like to zone out a bit with a cheesey soap, relaxing. but during the more alert times of the kids' day eg. first thing in the morning, i've found if they watch telly it sucks out their brains stops them from being as creative. before TV they brim with ideas, but after TV i find they are initially a bit glaikit & don't really know what to do with themselves... takes a while to get the cogs in the imagination grinding round again. It's as if the telly spoonfeeds them entertainment, but when away from it they remember how to make their own entertainment. also, as our developing nations become fatter and unhappier, this is being found unremarkably to relate to the increasing amount of time we spend on technology and not connecting with our natural world. now i don't want to be dismissed as a complete treehugging hippy (bit prickly to hug tight!) but a new field of research is developing called ecopsychology which realises how much better we feel when we are in green space: our mental health is massively negatively affected by being cut off from the natural world , & increasing screen time undeniably contributes to this. i recently found a website which, amongst suggestions of outdoor activities, asks you to pledge that hours on screen should be equalled by hours outside. maybe a big ask for someone working 8hrs a day on a computer, but maybe something to strive towards? so, in a nutshell, screen time is habit-forming. it has it's uses but should be a small part of life, not taking over life.

Emperorsnewclothesshow Sun 28-Apr-13 17:03:55

Do you ever feel a foggy feeling in your head after a good few hours of tv? Well, kids get that too...

The time kids are glued to screens could be better spent developing motor skills, social skills and language for example. Creativity also thrives much more when it is the child who has to do the imagining rather than being presented with everything. Kids learn by touching and experiencing things.

Watching telly is passive consumption and even though they get "input" from the tv it would be much better to actually experience. In my opinion screen time should be half hour max per day for preschoolers.

GingerDoodle Sun 28-Apr-13 17:17:19

I think the reasoning is that screen time and any passive learning benefits are countered by the lack real work learning it is curtailing.

Personally I have days when we have the tv on in the background; other days we don't. Some days we have baby class, others we go into town - I think its about balance.

Right now; my D (7m) is on her floor mat playing with toys; tv is on with a program about bears - she glances up occasionally. The rest of the weekend has been spent with friends with babies.

I don't really recall watching a lot of tv when I was very young but I did have a tv in my room and once I got a computer I spent an awful lot of time on it (12 - 13 years old). Have my love of the internet and chat rooms to thank for meeting my DH and the subsequent result of DD.

Nehru Sun 28-Apr-13 17:18:20

some people need some paragraph help on here

veryberrybug Mon 29-Apr-13 15:19:10

apologies nehru if the lack of paragraphs bugged you, i was thinking about the content more.
there i've done it... hang on

oh yes bit clearer with double spacing

i didn't realise it'd be such a long post until i'd done it.... guilty of getting absorbed in the topic.

valiumredhead Mon 29-Apr-13 15:49:01

Screen time limits creativity ime.

matana Tue 30-Apr-13 15:30:54

Limiting screen time is completely alien concept to me. I have a ridiculously active 2.5yo and spend my days encouraging him to just watch the tv for 5 fucking minutes whilst mummy makes dinner/ hoovers/ unloads the dishwasher/ washing machine. I swear he's not my biological son and I was artifically inseminated by aliens. He'd rather be taking every petal off every flower in the garden than watch tv. Can anyone give me any tips on increasing screen time?!

Emperorsnewclothesshow Tue 30-Apr-13 21:08:41

[hmmm]

becsparkel Wed 01-May-13 22:49:01

This TED talk is good.

CheesyPoofs Wed 01-May-13 23:18:14

matana my DD is like your DS.

She's nearly six and still can't watch films because she doesn't have the concentrate or patience to sit through it till the end. She gets bored after 1/2 hour and wanders off. For this reason we can't take her to the cinema because she wants to go to the loo every 10 mins.

She's much more likely to play on the computer, on the cbeebies website or similar. I don't limit this, but it is limited by the fact it's a shared computer and someone will turf her off before long anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now