Talk

Advanced search

11 month old waking at 4.15am....HELP

(17 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 09:02:32

My 11 month old son is routinely waking at 4.15am, trying to go back to sleep, but only managing about 20 minutes between 4.15 - 6.15am.

He falls asleep by himself at bedtime after playing with his comforter in his crib for about 10 minutes. I have tried a 6.30pm bedtime, a 7.30pm bedtime, but he always wakes at the same time.

I have blackout blinds, a heater to keep his room warm, he sleeps in a grobag etc. he has a standard night routine which he has had since he was tiny, bath, bottle, bed. I am at my wits end. I will post his schedule and see if anyone can recommend anything.

4.15am wake up. Try and leave him to go back to sleep.
6.15am. Bottle
8.00am breakfast.
9am. First nap.
10am. Wake up and play.
11am. Bottle
12.30pm. Lunch
1.30pm. Nap. This can last from 30 mins to an 1.5 hours.
3pm. Bottle.
5pm. Dinner
6.15. Start getting ready for bed.
6.45. Asleep.

Any tips would really be appreciated as it has been 3 weeks now and I can't see a light at the end of the tunnel!

heidihole Sun 28-Apr-13 09:07:36

My 11m old sleeps 11 hours at night. Bed at 8pm and wakes at 7am. I used to have him bed at 7pm but he woke at 6am.

That's quite an early bed time and seeing as he is pretty much awake from 4.30am to 9am I'd say that he has sim

heidihole Sun 28-Apr-13 09:08:02

Simply had enough sleep by then!

Sorry I'm on my phone!

heidihole Sun 28-Apr-13 09:09:24

If he was waking at that time and falling asleep again by 7am I'd say he was still tired when he woke. But such a long period awake I think he's just bright eyed and bushy tailed at that time.

QTPie Sun 28-Apr-13 09:09:44

Hi

What exactly do you do between 4.15 and 6.15am? Do you leave him the entire time? Or do you do something else? The rest of the day looks absolutely fine.

QT

GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 09:18:41

He screams, thrashes, pulls his ears, rubs his eyes. I will go in there and try and settle him (he is usually sitting up). I'll rub his back and he will get really sleepy again, but when I leave the room he will crawl around his cot whimpering, falling asleep, but only briefly.

He used to wake in the middle of the night for 2 hours, but now this has changed to 4.15am.

I know when he has had enough sleep, he wakes up bright and chirpy and will play happily until I come in (usually about 11 hours sleep).

I have tried making his bedtime later, 7.30 - 8pm but he still wakes at 4.15....

QTPie Sun 28-Apr-13 09:35:17

DS used to do this, although he was older (13 to 19 months) and it coincided with serious teething. Think it was a mixture of teething and "just knowing" it was light outside (bird song?) - DS also has blackout blinds...

We put a spare single mattress, duvet and pillow on the floor next to DS's cot, go in when he awoke and would hold his hand (and occassionally shush/reassure). DH and I took it in turns on alternate nights. No miracle cure, but gentle in DS, continued to reaffirm that it was "bed time" (and no getting up) and DH/I got some more sleep or at least comfortable rest. On the occassional time that DS fell into a deep sleep (and we didn't!), could sneak back to bed. DS used to go to bed at 8pm - so it wasn't that he had an early bed time...

QT

GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 09:47:19

He has 6 teeth so far and has had 2 new ones over the past couple of weeks and I can see some ore popping through so maybe it is that. Ah wishful thinking probably.

He was also a late crawler and has only been crawling for about 2 weeks so I thought he might just be over excited about that as he crawls around his cot half asleep!

The birds are pretty loud so I might try some white noise.

He has a nightlight so maybe I should turn that off as without it you can't even see your hand informs of your face in his room. But I thought that might be too dark for him? Maybe I am over thinking everything!

QTPie Sun 28-Apr-13 10:08:20

To be honest the molars and canines are the worst... DS was not a bad tether, but we did have 6 months of sleep disruption and early risings...

You are in for a LOT if development this next year (teething, walking, some form of talking...): good chance of disruption.

We had and always have had a night light (well one of those rotating coloured lanterns). You could try turning it off - see what happens - but I find it useful myself.

I think that you will find it a phase/stage... May improve overnight or you may be in for a disrupted Summer and/or teething. We found the next two Summers a lot less disruptive (DS is 3.25 now).

GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 13:36:10

Thanks for your advice smile

blacktreaclecat Sun 28-Apr-13 15:09:50

Is it a nappy issue? We do a "dream nappy" when we go to bed otherwise DS wakes early as wet.

GiveMeVegemite Sun 28-Apr-13 15:43:14

I don't think it is a nappy issue as I have tried changing his nappy when he wakes and it makes no difference. I can hear when he poops and will go in and change him if I hear that though...

Nicknamefail Sun 28-Apr-13 18:11:02

Try wake to sleep? The one where you set your alarm for 45 mins before dcs normal wake up time (shudder) and rouse them gently and then let them sleep again.
I have no personal experience of this (dd is 6 months and feeds all night) but 3 of my friends have had success with older dc and early waking.

mrshectic Mon 29-Apr-13 00:10:52

I would just like to say that is a very early bedtime, especially if they're waking routinely early......could just be teething though.
My 2nd didn't sleep through the night until he was 2 and half, routinely waking between 4 and 10 times a night! It nearly killed me......although when he did sleep though, my body was so used to no sleep, I was even more like a zombie than I was before!

blacktreaclecat Mon 29-Apr-13 06:52:40

Agree about early bedtime. DS is 10.5 mo and we start bedtime at 6.30/ 6.45 depending on whether he has a bath or not. He isn't asleep until 8ish though and he goes through until 6.30/7.
He has 2 naps still though

GiveMeVegemite Mon 29-Apr-13 11:37:13

I read the gina ford sleep book yesterday so pretty much followed her routine and put him to bed at 7pm so he was asleep for 7.30, he slept til 5am, but was tossing and turning from about 4am, half awake.

I'll just keep trying to make sure he has enough sleep during the day so he isn't overtired at night and make his bedtime a little later.

I also think it might have something to do with the fact he can't roll from his tummy to his back. He used to be able to, but now it seems that he can't for whatever reason and I see him trying to roll and it makes him very frustrated. I have started helping him roll in the hope he will pick it up himself again...

gloucestergirl Wed 01-May-13 21:33:37

DD does this and I bring her into bed with me. She usually nods back to sleep when cuddling. There is no way that she'd fall back to sleep if I put her back into her cot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now