Talk

Advanced search

What do you do at a 1st birthday parties?

(12 Posts)
sharond101 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:08:37

Having a birthday party for DS in May in our house. We will be inviting family and some friends. There will be around 5 babies his age there, a 19mo and two 3 year olds. DS just wants to crawl around everywhere and is too young for party games so what do we do for entertainment?

DXBMermaid Fri 26-Apr-13 22:11:58

Let him dig into a big cake and get covered in it! Not much need for entertainment for him and the little ones.

For the older ones some toys and maybe a few simpel party games should be enough.

SquidgyMummy Fri 26-Apr-13 22:13:55

I think your DS will be happy with his cake and pressies (ours was). I would just make sure there were a few outdoor toys for the 3 yearolds to burn off energy.

And plenty of wine for the adults

randomtask Fri 26-Apr-13 22:18:21

We did (& will soon again) do this & have found if all the children know each other & are nice you don't need to worry too much about entertainment-ours played happily together although we make sure we have something to occupy them if they get bored (silly game, football for garden etc).

Enjoy it as they get more stressful the older they get-DH loves first birthdays as he gets to pick the theme & no-one complains!

LittleMissLucy Sat 27-Apr-13 03:53:35

He will never ever remember it. For our DS's first we just had cake with the grand parents and plenty of photo opportunities to keep said GPS happy.

clippityclop Sat 27-Apr-13 16:35:51

Set up some colouring (masks, party hats etc - have a look on Yellow Moon) on a table with a wipe down cloth for the older ones, blocks or something spread on a big blanket for the others to sit and play with with their parents. Bubble machines are fun, have balloons, cake, short game of pass the parcel with a little safe cuddly toy for the prize. Have fun!

valiumredhead Sat 27-Apr-13 16:52:06

Glass of wine for the parents and cake for everyone - sorted grin

LittleMissLucy Sat 27-Apr-13 22:10:57

Definitely not pass the parcel for a 1 yr old - they don't get the concept. lots of grabbing and crying!

cassell Sat 27-Apr-13 22:34:09

For ds1's 1st I just set up various toys - ball pool, shakers etc, books, blocks - the usual sort of things they like to play with and had some nursery rhymes playing. Decorated with lots of balloons and swirly things hanging down from the ceiling (well out of reach) which they loved looking at. Had some bubbles as well and that was about it. It was more for the adults anyway grin. Just had a few nibbly things for the babies to eat (breadsticks, fruit etc) and then the cake.

Ds2 is hard done by and isn't having a proper party, just a tea party with ds1, dh and me. He'll be just as happy as there'll be balloons and cake smile

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Sat 27-Apr-13 22:59:10

No you don't need to entertain a one year old. They'll be happy with food. It's just nice to mark the occasion so you can look back on it. Lots of family and friends and photos will be fine. We just did a big family party with a barbeque etc and it was lovely.

taurusmum85 Sun 28-Apr-13 22:31:05

I got a bouncy castle which went down well with children and parents

specialsubject Mon 29-Apr-13 15:16:59

pointless doing anything for the babies. Provide something for the older ones and the adults. For the babies, space to crawl and things to chew, wave around and examine.

no point in birthday parties before 3, they won't care before that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now