Talk

Advanced search

BLW...When to give water???

(6 Posts)
34at32 Fri 26-Apr-13 20:38:42

I have a 5mo old DS. He has been exclusively breastfed until recently when I began baby led weaning.
I have read and heard that I should be offering water along with food.

Can anyone tell me if it is ok to give him water straight from the tap or does it need to be cooled boiled water?

Also, does anyone have any tips for the best sippy cup to buy?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Fri 26-Apr-13 21:21:34

They can't have water out the tap until six months.I would get a free flow beaker, Tommee Tippee do a good basic one.

Wishiwasanheiress Fri 26-Apr-13 21:25:29

Second tommee tippe beaker, also most child care use them which could be useful.....

I gave small amount of water at every meal/snack. Basically if it eats offer water, I gave bottled or boiled not tap once I stopped bf.

The one to use when the child can hold a cup is a doidy cup. It's light and angled so they can see in. It's simply fab.

MatriarchalDreams Fri 26-Apr-13 21:26:24

You can give your baby water straight from the tap once they're over six months, until then it's recommended to give them cooled boiled water, I started weaning my baby at six months so just gave her tap water from the start. If your baby's breastfed the free flow sippy cups are apparently easier for them to use as they can find it difficult to suck properly from the non-drip ones which have a valve, that was the case for my DD anyway, also I think that dentists recommend free flow as they're better for jaw development. I've got the basic tommee tippee one,
www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-43111040cyan-First-Cup/dp/B002C1ATCY/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby&ie=UTF8&qid=1367007820&sr=1-1&keywords=tommee+tippee
lots of people seem to have this one so it's quite popular (and cheap!)

34at32 Fri 26-Apr-13 22:06:55

Thanks guys, very helpful.

IShallCallYouSquishy Fri 26-Apr-13 22:11:14

Just don't do what I did and not persevere with it, or you will end up with an 11 month old who won't drink water <glares at sleeping baby angry>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now