Talk

Advanced search

Nappy changing advice please!

(27 Posts)
GreatSoprendo Fri 26-Apr-13 16:35:13

DS1 is just 19 days old. Took him to see HV this morning due to his nappy rash and she told me to go to GP, who said he has thrush. Been prescribed canesten and also metanium.

I feel really bad - he's been having a growth spurt in last few days and feeding/sleeping in hourly cycles so we cracked and started using wipes rather than water and cotton wool, but going straight back onto plain water today.

My questions are;
- if you just use cotton wool and water what do you do when out and about? Still do cotton wool and water? Or are there some more bottom friendly wipes than the usual supermarket brands that I could get?
- what are your tactics for getting bottoms really nice and dry? Do you have some kind of bottom drying cloth, or a flannel or something? At the mo, if I'm changing his clothes at nappy change time, I tend to dry his bottom on the outgoing vest blush
- is it just me, or does everyone get through a ton of cotton wool to do one change? And does it stick bits of cotton wool to the bottom? I have the little cotton wool balls but wondering if it would be better to buy a roll or pleat of cotton wool instead.

Hope these are not stupid questions - as you can tell, I'm a real novice! I have been dong 30 mins of no nappy time each day (that's been fun!) but maybe I need to do more...?

JeremyPiven Fri 26-Apr-13 16:39:47

I used to buy cotton wool pleat, much more economical. You can use a bit of unfragranced lotion instead of water, you could do this when out, or alternatively carry a little spray bottle (refillable cosmetic pump, you get them in chemists etc) with water in it.

Both my DSs had eczema so we had periods when I didn't use wipes. But when I did, I used unfragranced ones. I think the most important thing is using a good barrier cream to shield their skin from poo. We used bepanthen.

JeremyPiven Fri 26-Apr-13 16:42:27

Oh and re drying, I always used terry towel squares. With boys, I found having a towelling square nearby was always helpful to throw over a wee shower grin and the occasional lava stream of poo

But I always patted their bottoms dry with one too. You can get a stack of them very cheaply and they make good dusters when you've finished with the bottoms

BendyBusBuggy Fri 26-Apr-13 16:43:18

Not stupid at all

1) all three of my children had sore bottoms at six weeks and it passed. The first time round I was mortified...

2) cotton wool balls never worked for me, I used pleat as it doesn't create so many fuzzy bits

3) I used a muslin to dry the bottom, but a vest should be the same. And I always followed up with cream, after every change. If the bottom is sore, try to find a really thick barrier cream that will create a physical barrier between poo and skin ( obviously will have to stay there until next change)

4) i used water and cotton wool even when out and about as I found it much easier to get everything off like that. Didn't start using wipes until they were much much older (the consistency and stickiness of poo changes when they get older and it can be wiped off with wipes)

Good luck!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 26-Apr-13 16:45:16

I wouldn't use cotton wool if his bottom is sore - cut up some cheap flannels and use those instead and wash and reuse.

It may also be worth trying different brands of nappies.some of them have pretty nasty chemicals in - eco nappies tend to be a bit BIM friendlier, and reusable nappies are the best.

noblegiraffe Fri 26-Apr-13 16:45:23

Pleats of cotton wool are best, but some brands are better than others. Asda stuff is useless, too fluffy. I had some really good stuff, might have been Boots?

Tidypidy Fri 26-Apr-13 16:56:25

Try reusable wipes and plain water in a spray. We use zinc and castor oil cream and find it's very soothing and easy to apply. It also seems to let skin breathe more than some of the creams which is important for healing. If possible use reusable nappies too, we use bambino mios.

speak2me Fri 26-Apr-13 18:12:07

We use cotton wool pleats and a water spray. The cotton wool pleats can be pulled apart and so we find a pack goes a long way. To dry we use flannels, have a big stack of them in one colour only just for bums! Also found Bepanthen cream the best for DS, it healed his nappy rash and we have continued using it after every change for protection (We tried metanium and sudocream but both didn't do anything).

leonardofquirm Fri 26-Apr-13 18:30:54

We use cotton wool pads. It probably does work out expensive, but I am too lazy to do reusable stuff blush

We use Aldi sensitive wipes when out and just give a wash when we get home.

I usually heal wrecked bums with Lansinoh! it seems to protect the sore bits and help it heal up too.

GreatSoprendo Fri 26-Apr-13 18:39:59

Wow - so many helpful and speedy replies! Am sourcing some cotton wool pleats and some cloths or flannels for drying now, and have dug out my water spray that I used in labour. Might go for cotton wool pads and water spray when out and about or look at washable wipes.

Thanks again for helpful and reassuring replies grin

Bananasinfadedpjs Fri 26-Apr-13 18:48:38

Flannels are the way to go!

Or, if you want something even softer - you can actually wash baby wipes a few times in the washing machine (no, really, you can!) They go really soft and slightly fluffy, but not nearly so fluffy as cotton wool. When DD was born I washed a whole pack of cheap supermarket wipes in a net laundry bag (without using them first). Then you can dampen them one at a time for wiping, and use a dry one for drying, and you don't have to feel bad for throwing them away afterwards, or you can rewash them a couple of times.

mummy2benji Fri 26-Apr-13 18:53:20

I've always used cotton wool pads and water if bottom is sore, pat dry with a soft flannel. I use metanium during the day and sudocrem at night or if we're out and about, as the thick layer provides a better barrier, although I've found the metanium great for healing. My lo's have only got sore bottoms on the odd occasion they have done a poo that I haven't smelled and didn't change immediately. The rest of the time I use Pampers Sensitive wipes and pat dry with the fresh nappy I am about to put on. This works well and mine have never got sore bottoms from using the wipes. Dd2 is 6 months and has a peachy bottom!

littlestressy Fri 26-Apr-13 18:59:18

We use a flannel or terry square to dry bum, cut up some old flannels, damp with water and pop in a sandwich bag to wipe bum when out and about.
Let him have his nappy off as much as possible (just lie him on an old towel) and think about the brand of nappy you are using, we found huggies terrible.

nonamenewname Sat 27-Apr-13 08:14:31

Cotton wool: I tend to use 2 bits for a wet nappy, 4ish for a normal poo and 6ish for a monster poo. I use the Asda balls and have never had a fluffy-bit problem.
Barrier cream: not exactly, I use coconut oil instead. It's been amazing. As a bonus, I don't have to fret about getting his bottom 100% dry before applying (which fwiw I just do with the towel on his changing mat).
Out and about, I just use the Huggies wipes in the yellowish pack (they might be called 'pure' or something).

I think a bit of regular nappy-free time is one of the best things, though.

thistlelicker Sat 27-Apr-13 08:18:29

There was a research done around 2 years ago by midwives who found there is no difference between fragrance free sensitive wipes to cotton wool and water! Can only advise make sure dry properly after washing! Hope it clears soon

MiaowTheCat Sat 27-Apr-13 08:54:30

I bought the pleats which I then pulled apart into decent sized balls. Cheaper in terms of what you get for your money.

DD2 came home from hospital, we swapped to wipes (as we'd done with DD1) - bam nappy rash. Swapped back briefly to cotton wool and water till it cleared and then reverted back to the fragrance free wipes... no further problems whatsoever.

FacebookWanker Sat 27-Apr-13 09:09:16

I used the cotton wool roll as it used to last for ever. DD was always sensitive to wipes, but I found the occasional use of herbal wipes when out and about was fine.

I like the idea of a spray bottle though. We started off using the water wipes, but at £5 a pack we couldn't go on. They may be cheaper now.

FacebookWanker Sat 27-Apr-13 09:12:35

The Huggies sensitive wipes made DD's bottom bleed.

rootypig Sat 27-Apr-13 09:32:05

I used Jackson Reese eco wipes on DD from birth and she has never had a sore bum. And oil instead of cream - olive, coconut, something like that. Plus plenty of no nappy time kicking about.

MzPixielated Sat 27-Apr-13 09:37:19

Look up cheeky wipes, reusable towelling squares in there own box pretty much.

notcitrus Sat 27-Apr-13 10:04:01

Stash of old bits of cotton cloth, tub of water. I chopped up some old pajamas and boxer shorts.

But the main thing at this stage was as much nappy off time as possible, so spent a lot of time in the bathroom or kitchen, and at least now garden or park should be ok. Long fun baths, too.

Ds got rash when in consecutive disposable nappies, but was fine in cloth, so used cloth nappies mostly. Though dn was the other way round.

adagio Sat 27-Apr-13 10:04:28

Echo cotton wool pleat - keep an eye on prices; last time I checked wilko was 84p, asda 1.50 ish, and sainsbo during baby fest week only 88p but now back up to 1.34. I break it up so each pleat makes 5 or 6 blobs. I always use warm water at home; DH has been known to just use old/ cold water. DD doesn't complain but I mean how would you like cold water splashed on your bits in midwinter?!

Then pat dry in the early days with huggies dry wipes (dry baby wipes), but now progressed onto with nearest thing to hand (towel on the mat, old vest, flannel etc).

Use wipes when out, but make a point of doing a nappy change when we get home with a good old wash and nappy free time asap. Many shops have sinks in their change areas, so I do take some cotton wool in the bag in case (of poonami)

jammiecat Sat 27-Apr-13 10:07:22

Another vote for cheeky wipes. You can also get bags etc to take them out in. Or you can make your own version. I then use a muslin to pay dry.

TheUnstoppableWindmill Sat 27-Apr-13 10:11:17

I also recommend reusable wipes. I use 'Nature Babies' (cheaper than cheeky wipes) and use the fleece rather than flannel side usually as it's softer. The fleece dries the bum really well afterwards.

MrsDeVere Sat 27-Apr-13 10:13:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now