Talk

Advanced search

Grumpy angry toddler after nap!

(8 Posts)
Neiffer Tue 23-Apr-13 14:42:34

Just wondering if anyone else has this and knows why...15 mth old ds goes for naps happily, always has. Currently has either an hour in morn and pm or two hrs in pm. He wakes up screaming bloody murder and is inconsolable and writhing in your arms for at least. 5 long mins when you go to get him. He then needs about 15 mins zoned out in front of tv before you can move him without hysterics starting again. Is that normal?! Is he just going to be like this or is something causing it?

mummy2benji Tue 23-Apr-13 15:29:09

I seem to remember my ds1 being really upset on waking from his naps too. It was just him being disorientated and taking time to come to, which I think many toddlers do. I can't recall how long it lasted I'm afraid, but it did certainly pass!

racmun Tue 23-Apr-13 15:35:56

Same here my son is 30 months and still savagely moody when he wakes up. The tv and a packet of fruit flakes are the only things that console him.

I've tried ignoring him, cuddling him, taking him straight out but nothing really worked! Decided in the end to Just go with the flow its much less stressful.
I can only wonder what he will be like as a moody teenager in the mornings!!

mummy2benji Tue 23-Apr-13 15:38:30

Don't worry! My ds is now 4 1/2 and bounces out of bed in the morning with a cheery "good morning Mummy!"

Beehatch Tue 23-Apr-13 15:39:17

My brother was like this, but if we could get him to drink water immediately on waking it seemed to help. Without the water he had the screaming ab-dabs for at least 10 minutes!

Neiffer Tue 23-Apr-13 20:09:31

I'm glad its not just my baby! It's horrible, poor thing. To be fair though, I'm grotty when I get up still! I really hope it doesn't continue into his teenage years...

NotInMyDay Tue 23-Apr-13 20:14:13

Same here. Snack, drink and a bit of tv till he properly comes to. Otherwise it's unbearable. dragon

babySophieRose Wed 24-Apr-13 09:10:06

Separation anxieties? My DD does this at nursery only, so I think she is frustrated because I am not there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now