Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

oh god, spent the morning at the hospital, then dd3 failed her newborn hearing check and I burst into tears

(105 Posts)
Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:06:19

now the health visitor is 'concerned' about me and coming to check on me next week.

I am tired and very upset about dd3's hearing test - surely a blub is allowed?

foxinsocks Tue 16-May-06 14:07:17

blubs definitely allowed - is dh back?

didn't know they did newborn hearing tests these days

foxinsocks Tue 16-May-06 14:07:47

and why were you at the hosp? all sounds v stressful

cod Tue 16-May-06 14:07:51

Message withdrawn

MarsLady Tue 16-May-06 14:08:45

Enid.... all will be well. Of course you're allowed a blub! Who wouldn't? Have to say I didn't know they checked newborns hearing... blimey... learning all the time.

motherinferior Tue 16-May-06 14:08:50

Absolutely.

How rigorous was the hearing check - was it a proper one with an audiologist (there weren't any audiologists available for DD2's and I just got a stupid convo with the HV). Thing is, those checks are a really, really good idea, honey and they'll pick up any minor stuff at this stage, I reckon.

Bozza Tue 16-May-06 14:09:09

It's awful isn't it? You have this lovely home birth experience but then they still manage to drag you and your newborn into the hospital for the hearing test. With DD it took ages because they struggled to attach the "jobbies" (memory a bit vague here) to her.

What is the plan for DD3 now? Retest?

Iklboo Tue 16-May-06 14:09:24

Enid - blub most definitely allowed. Think HV is just making sure she's covered herself. DH failed his first newborn hearing test in his right ear (with the new machine thingy) but they found it was just because his ears were still full of gunk. He passed the repeat with no probs. Fingers crossed for you all is OK (hugs)

Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:09:30

ts a new thing

the next stage is for dd3 to have electrodes strapped to her head ffs

motherinferior Tue 16-May-06 14:09:43

(Hearing checks, for those of you who don't know about them, have relatively recently been put in place for newborns, as it's a very good idea to pick up any hearing problems as early as possible.)

Iklboo Tue 16-May-06 14:09:47

That should be DS, not DH

nutcracker Tue 16-May-06 14:09:54

Loads of babies fail newborn hearing tests and the 9mth one, and if she has a cold it's not suprising. I'm sure it is fine, and yes definatly allowed a blub.

cod Tue 16-May-06 14:09:59

Message withdrawn

Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:10:10

this was the retest

tortoiseshell Tue 16-May-06 14:10:11

Course you're allowed to cry - my mw brings a box of tissues every time she comes to weigh ds2. Your hormones are still everywhere, and it is really stressful when dh is away. AND you've got 3 little ones to look after.

Are they going to redo the hearing test?

motherinferior Tue 16-May-06 14:10:59

Oh honey. Cry.

foxinsocks Tue 16-May-06 14:11:32

couldn't understand why there was such a massive wait for dd (age 5) to have her hearing test. It all becomes clear now.

Enif, if she's had a cold I would ask HV to schedule another test. It can really affect their passages.

Twiglett Tue 16-May-06 14:11:45

awww hun .. I did that with DS's hearing test at 8 months .. it was the straw that broke the camel's back because of other stuff going on ...

they aren't supposed to be doing hearing tests on babies any more because they are so very very inaccurate

you are allowed a blub when you've had a baby ... definitely

Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:12:10

spent morning in paed ward having dd3s cord stump cauterised

not serious but i hate hospitals (hence joy at homebirth)

cod Tue 16-May-06 14:12:14

Message withdrawn

cod Tue 16-May-06 14:13:14

Message withdrawn

foxinsocks Tue 16-May-06 14:14:08

poor you

hospitals are horrible places with a small baby even if you do like hospitals

could you ask for one more test (without cold) before they electrode her head?

Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:15:05

they have done it twice now

50% likely to be equipment failure though

Enid Tue 16-May-06 14:17:19

was the bit when hv said well her left ear is fine so you will be able to tell people just to avoid her right ear when talking to her

tell me you would have blubbed too at that point

Beauregard Tue 16-May-06 14:17:32

poor you Enid.
Im not surprised you had a cry ,you are so busy with the kid's and now you have your new dd and hormones etc to cope with.
Try not to worry too much about your dd's hearing(easy to say i know).
Hope thing's go well for you .
Take care of yourself.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: