Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

OMG i feel sick....

(15 Posts)
mum2sam Mon 15-May-06 22:38:16

I just stumbled across a thread about a email being sent around about the release of the two boys that killed little jamie bulger. There was also a link about it being a hoax but it also had some information on what they actually put him through.It didnt go through full details but it was enough. I cant stop crying and feel sick that poor, poor baby. I was 11 at the time and so i knew they kidnapped him and killed him but i didnt realise how evil they actually were. And to think they have been released. I dont want my baby to ever to grow up its such evil world out there.

Kidstrack Mon 15-May-06 22:43:42

i received this email last month(i felt sick and angry and all of those things you feel when a child is hurt), like you i think i was about your age when it happened, i'm 24 now, i watched a documentry a few years back when my ds was the same age as Jamie when he was abducted and killed, i cried and felt rage all the way through it, those killers have been released for over 2yrs i think? with new identities in a hot country

WestCountryLass Mon 15-May-06 22:44:07

I opt for the head in sand way of dealing with info like this. All we can do is try and protect our kids and alert them to stranger danger but we cannot actually prevent these things from happening if they are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I console myself with the fact that these things are very rare.

TambaTheDragonSlayer Mon 15-May-06 22:44:15

Ive read that email before and it made me cry so much that when I recognised what it was in the thread I closed it straight away with out reading any further down, still doesnt stop me from remembring what it says though... I dont think its very fair to unwittingly stummble across something so upsetting.

mum2sam Mon 15-May-06 22:49:00

My ds is 18mths and it hurts to my stomach to think about that little boy. Im dreading it as my ds gets older and asks to play outside of the garden or for a little bit later. It just seems you have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time nothing to do with common sense.

I didnt even know that they planned to kipnapp a baby that day for kicks and tried to do so with a little girl until her mother caught them how sick and evil is that.

Kidstrack Mon 15-May-06 23:00:08

agree mum2sam, it was sick and evil, and how the law protects them is evil, i know exactly what i was doing when i was 11yrs old, i knew right from wrong, and i also knew how to hurt people, how those boys were portrayed as innocent little boys makes me angry, yes they were boys/just kids but they knew exactly what they were doing, those boys should never have been given another chance in life, they should have been locked up securely for the rest of their lives, they are now out there living in the real world and poor Jamie never got a chance to live in the real world.

SexyUndiesLady Mon 15-May-06 23:27:52

I had to write an essay on a subject related to the killing of James Bulger and came across this email while researching on the net. Just so you know, some of the info in it is actually not correct. What they did to him was awful but it is not exactly as 'documented' in this email.. which was actually started with good intentions but which people are now asked not to add to/'sign'.

Kidstrack Mon 15-May-06 23:30:39

thats very true, i never signed it or forwarded it, as some of it wasn't exactly true

Pixiefish Mon 15-May-06 23:35:29

When they released the killers jamie's parents allowed detail to be published int he press. I believe that was accurate. haven't seen this email but it was horrific what was published att he time

wannaBe1974 Tue 16-May-06 10:47:54

What happened to James Bulger was truly sickening. I too received the email but did not sign or forward it – I never forward anything like that because more often than not these emails are hoaxes. But …

While I do not believe that at 11 they were innocent little children, I do think that we need to look deeper and question what kind of upbringing these children (and yes they were still children) had that led them to go out and commit such a terrible crime. Recently in the news there has been the story of an 11 year old girl who is pregnant and who will be Britain’s youngest mum. For her there has been nothing but sympathy, talk of how she couldn’t possibly have known what she was getting into, how her parents are to blame and how she should be taken into care for her own safety. And yet for these boys, who were the same age as this girl, the talk is all of how they knew exactly what they were doing, how they were pure evil and how they should never have been freed. We question what kind of society we’re living in that allows children to have children, so why is it we’re not questioning what kind of society it is that enabled two children to become so disturbed that they abducted and killed a small child? I totally agree that those boys should have received harsh sentences, however I do still think that they were only children, and that they should have been given the chance to be rehabilitated. Do we really want to live in a country that treats children as adults and that would lock up two 11 year olds and keep them in prison until they died? Do you really think that the brain of an 11 year old works the same as that of an adult?

As for these boys being given new identities, again it is the society we live in that needs to be blamed for that imo. We live in a society where people think that it is their right to seak justice on behalf of the victims of crime, even though we have a legal system that tries, convicts and punishes criminals for their crimes. In the eyes of the law, those two boys had served their time and were free to go, but if they had been freed without new identities the media would have started a witch hunt and vidulanti’s would have been after them quicker than you can say “free the bulger killers”, and two wrongs don’t make a right.

For the record, I do not condone what those two boys did, but I also think that it’s not all black and white.

alexsmum Tue 16-May-06 11:00:29

i agree wannabe.
the other thing that always gets me about this case was the tabloid reporting of it.'Jamie' Bulger was never 'Jamie' to his family, he was James but because jamie is cuter /more infantile it was adopted by the press.It was all so black and white-the boys who did it were evil.What about their parents? Why were they never prosecuted over this? Why were social services not involved with their families?

it was a terrible ,terrible crime but not so simple as we might think.

Rhubarb Tue 16-May-06 11:11:59

Most of it is true, but that it's being sent around by email! That is shocking! The details are not meant to be known by everyone ffs! Whose sick idea was that then?

SleepyJess Tue 16-May-06 11:18:53

Rhubarb, it apparently was someone who got the idea to gather as much support as possible in order to try to prevent Thompson and Venables being released as soon as they were; it's been going around since then. The 'details' provided (some of which were not totally accurate) had already been printed in some of the tabloids. The email was not constructed in a 'sick' way.. it was obviously for shock value to spur people into acting and adding their support but as is often the case with these petitions, they do little more than 'clog up' cyber space. And they are very open to abuse as anyone can edit them before sending them on.

Esmummy Tue 16-May-06 11:23:32

I watched the documentary that was on about 2 years ago, where his parents were interviewed the whole way through and showed how his parents split etc. i was pregnant with DD at the time and can honestly not remember crying so much in my whole life, i was a wreck.

Kidstrack Tue 16-May-06 11:28:18

yep the email has been going round for a long time,dates are on the one i received far back as 14m ago

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: