Talk

Advanced search

How do i make playdoh?

(10 Posts)
attheendoftheday Thu 18-Apr-13 14:34:35

Does anyone have a reliable recipe?

Thank you!

wordsmithsforever Thu 18-Apr-13 14:48:33

This one always works for me: 1 cup of salt; 2 cups of flour; 2 teaspoons crème of tartar, 2 cups of boiling water with your food colouring of choice in it.

Mix all ingredients together and knead. Add a bit of flour if too stiff or a tiny bit water if too dry.

NumTumDeDum Thu 18-Apr-13 14:50:10

I find the above with the addition of some glitter also goes down well.

attheendoftheday Thu 18-Apr-13 16:14:04

Thank you very much, shall give it a go tomorrow!

jungletoes Thu 18-Apr-13 16:22:36

I also add one tablespoon of cooking oil.

wordsmithsforever Thu 18-Apr-13 17:20:00

Ooh yes sorry - add a tablespoon of cooking oil too!

EugenesAxe Thu 18-Apr-13 17:26:36

I got complimented, believe it or not, after making playdough from this recipe for a playgroup I help to run.

I didn't have a tablespoon of cream of tartar though... only put in about 2 tsp.

SneakyBiscuitEater Thu 18-Apr-13 17:32:00

Good resource www.playdoughrecipe.com/jello-playdough-recipe/

Site is just loads of playdough recipes, I made this jelly one with baking powder and a standard block of jelly melted in the hot water. It was fantastic, lasted for ages and smelt Devine.

Groovee Thu 18-Apr-13 17:37:54

I use one I learned when training in nursery years and years ago

2 cups plain flour
1 cup salt
1 table spoon cream of tartar
1 table spoon vegetable oil
2 cups of water mixed with food colouring if required

Pop in a saucepan and cook on a medium heat stirring well until it comes together like a good dough. If sticky knead in flour.

Whatever you do, don't use Self Raising flour. We had a horrific experience with it expanding every morning after a rookie used SR instead of plain.

attheendoftheday Thu 18-Apr-13 22:40:01

Thank you all. I am clearly a playdoh newbie, I had never considered there would be different recipes, let alone a website full of them.

How does the jelly playdoh turn out? Is the consistancy more jelly-like, or does it just smell of jelly? It sounds a bit like dd would try to eat it.

Thank you for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now