Talk

Advanced search

Crocs and canvas shoes for toddlers

(17 Posts)
sleepcrisis Wed 17-Apr-13 20:08:37

Boring question alert:

Croc sizing. Is it weird or is it me? DS is size 22-23 (5.5-6). I bought him crocs size 6/7. They seem small. Next size up is huge. Are they meant to be snug? I mean his toes almost touch the end but his heel is not at the back of the shoe - prob 0.5-1 cm in from the end.

Secondly, are they actually ok for teeny feet? I have been really good so far and forked out for vivo barefoot or Bobux barefoot shoes.

And thirdly, are Converse a no no? I really want to get some canvas shoes for the summer but DS has wide feet and I don't really want to buy high street. Clarks do a pair but I hate buying Clarks. Does anyone know about converse and sizing - I know adult ones aren't very wide at all but are small ones any better? I need to buy online hence not being able to ask a sales assistant...

Thanks in advance

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 17-Apr-13 22:38:40

Converse are narrow in the kids' ranges unfortunately. Why the aversion to Clarks? Doodles are good canvas shoes and come in width fittings and wash very well in the machine. My two live in them in the summer time.

BlueChampagne Thu 18-Apr-13 12:20:57

If it's the Clarks shops you don't like, you can get the shoes in John Lewis.

CreatureRetorts Thu 18-Apr-13 12:41:57

What's wrong with Clarks? If the shoes are nice and fit then buy them? I love the doodles range.

RugBugs Thu 18-Apr-13 12:48:05

As already said, converse come up narrow on kids too.

I'm not sure clarks would deliver shoes under a 7 without them being fitted? We would always have to have them delivered to store and then a fitting.

Some of the canvas type shoes have very thick rigid soles, DD was bought a pair of sparkly blue ones from next for Christmas and she refuses to wear them.

sleepcrisis Thu 18-Apr-13 12:57:23

Many reasons for not liking clarks! I hate the shops, and have had bad experiences there. When I tried to get DS some cruisers (he needed them, it was winter and muddy and he wanted to play in the park!) they tried to send us off with an F fitting which I could hardly squeeze him into because they had no G in stock. The shoes don't feel very good quality and I hate hate hate the fact that the shoes are so gender specific. I know this is true of many places, but it infuriates me that 95% of their boys shoes are all navy, brown or black, and covered in characters/pirates/dinosaurs. And girls are all pink and purple and flowery. I'd love to get him some bright red canvas trainers for example. Hence my Q about Converse (I live in mine). Vivo do great shoes for wide feet and they are so good for their feet, but they don't have any canvas ones. Admitedly the Doodles green ones look nice and machine washable sounds good. I've just always steered clear of clarks for the above reasons.

Any idea re crocs?

LadyMetroland Thu 18-Apr-13 13:03:25

I have lovely unisex canvas shoes from Jojo Maman Bebe which even my toddler can put on herself (easy velcro fastening).

sleepcrisis Thu 18-Apr-13 13:12:09

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look at Jojo. Hadn't thought of there.

How about Toms for kids, any idea on width?

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Thu 18-Apr-13 17:51:59

How about an independent high street shop who will most llikely stock StartRite and the European brands.

I'll never recommend you to buy shoes without being fitted first.

ihearttc Thu 18-Apr-13 17:59:24

DS2 is in a size 6.5 shoe but Ive just got him a 6/7 Crocs and they fit absolutely fine. He has got quite narrow feet though. I wonder if it's because your DS's feet are wider that they seem tighter if that makes sense?

I also got him some lovely canvas high tops from H&M for £5.99 in bright blue and I also got a grey pair as well if that helps at all. Im useless with links but they are on the website.

Startrite do Canvas shoes and Next have got some nice ones as well. I actually got DS1 (who is 7) some plain navy converse style ones from John Lewis last year which wore really well so that might be worth a look as well. He has huge feet (he is a size 3 and they are really wide) and can't get Converse on at all but these fitted really well.

ihearttc Thu 18-Apr-13 18:00:54

Sorry meant to add Toms are really narrow...DS1 couldn't get them on at all but they fitted DS2 fine but you have to go up a size apparently.

I don't usually buy loads of summer shoes for them but we are off to Dubai on holiday in a few weeks so have got lots more summer stuff!

sleepcrisis Thu 18-Apr-13 19:19:09

Would love to have a lovely local independent shop like we use to before we moved last month. Here (abroad) we have one shoe shop that only sells clarks for kids, and Ecco but only their winter stock. On and they sell crocs and havaianas. I can order pretty much anything online via parents address in uk.

Sorry I forgot to explain that earlier.

As for fitting - well I'm not a pro but my days of sitting in clarks having school shoes fitted are not a too distant memory, and I am fairly confident that I can tell if they fit properly. I have a little shoe measurer thing that was sent from an online shoe retailer.

Thanks for the tips, I'll avoid toms and converse and have just ordered some from jojo. Also managed to find a line of crocs that come in single sizes so I'll try a size 7 in those.

Piemother Thu 18-Apr-13 20:37:12

Vans for kids come in plain colours but no idea about the width.
Start rite do shoes like doodles and jones the bookmaker and Russell and Bromley sell lots of brands.

Dd1 had doodles last year she wore most of the time that wash brilliantly but I prefer crocs I think they are amazing!

nicky2512 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:43:10

converse are very narrow. My 7 year old ds has wide feet and usually only wears geox shoes but have just got him some vans and they are definitely wider fitting than converse.

LifeSavedbyLego Thu 18-Apr-13 21:06:43

Russell and Bromley sell crocs so they'd prob fit them for you.

I've got twice kids with very wide feet. Da1 extremely so, wider than a g fitting.

Geox and Pepino are excellent but very expensive. You are probably going have to get used to throwing much much money at his feet.

-- top tip never ever line up their shoes and work out how much spent you will cry--

tanyaandflynn Thu 18-Apr-13 21:36:49

Deichmanns do really good shoes for toddlers, we got some lovely canvas shoes for ds that are quite wide.
Crocs seem to be really small, we got ds some but I think by the time it ever gets warm enough to wear them they will be too small.

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Fri 19-Apr-13 08:49:10

Lifesaved - we have to buy pepino ricosta shoes for DS. He is off the scale on width. They're the only ones that fit.

OP StartRite's website has a thing you can print off to help measure at home. and they do online orders. ebay is also good. we often buy the expensive shoes from ebay from business sellers. and they're usually quite discounted compared to stores.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now