Talk

Advanced search

Feel like a crap mum

(16 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Wed 17-Apr-13 15:05:42

Didn't realise I should be taking vitimin d while breastfeeding and giving baby drops- is this something everyone in the world is doing except for me?
Link to nhs guideance http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

Wishfulmakeupping Wed 17-Apr-13 15:06:33

All children up to age 5 should having supplements www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-minerals/Pages/Vitamin-D.aspx

YokoUhOh Wed 17-Apr-13 15:07:08

I was informed by GP that it was to be taken by the baby from 6 months. Thanks for remInding me! smile

quietus Thu 18-Apr-13 18:59:06

My mom who is a paediatrician recommends taking it from the very first day of birth. this is what they do in my country anyway, even though there is a plenty of sunshine (mediterranean). in britain a midwife ridiculed us saying that british food is so great and there are loads of vit D there so there is no need to take it??? the other day i read about 400% increase of rickets, the so called "english disease"... wonder why...

breadandhoney Thu 18-Apr-13 19:00:47

What?! News to me. Dd2 is 4 months now. Watching with interest.

ellesabe Thu 18-Apr-13 19:29:40

I have no idea about this. Dd is nearly 6mo and nobody has mentioned it to me.

Puffykins Thu 18-Apr-13 19:31:18

DS is two and a half,DD 9 months and no one has ever suggested I give them supplements - what are they supposed to have?

Sunshine200 Thu 18-Apr-13 19:34:52

Dd is 18 months- never been told to give her supplements.

LadyintheRadiator Thu 18-Apr-13 19:40:17

I have never given my children any vitamins/supplements nor did I take anything while BFing (18 months with DS).

They're 5 and 2 and alright I think.

You're not a crap mum at all flowers

Piemother Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:10

Me neither ladyintheradiator. Dd1 has chewy vitamins I but sometimes but I rarely worry about her she is spot on 50th centile and full of beans and excelling at her gymnastics and dancing blah blah.
Dd2 (5 months) is a gorgeous chubby baby with bright eyes and lovely buttery soft skin who is as happy as a sandboy. I will not be bothering with vitamins. I am v dubious about bioavailability anyway

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 18-Apr-13 20:36:49

I left a message on Hv phone but not heard back. Asked pharmacist in Sainsburys she suggested taking the breatfeeding supplements which have 400mg in not the 1000 it says on nhs guidance she said this would be ok if you are getting out and about enough. She also said the baby would get the vitimin d it needs through breastmilk but the bit d supplement was for mums- still going to check with Hv as this doesn't sound quite right to me

LadyintheRadiator Thu 18-Apr-13 21:04:55

Do you think maybe a market was created for these kinds of products because, well...breast feeding mums don't make great consumers - so many products that are just unnecessary, so why not promote supplements to get bf mums to spend at least some money when it comes to their method of feeding?

Piemother Thu 18-Apr-13 21:18:18

Lady. Yup

quietus Fri 19-Apr-13 05:13:10

Giving Vit D has been a routine in continental Europe and Scandinavia. Even in Ireland it has been recommended that children should be given Vit D. It is in a form of drops, which are given on prescription and don't belong to fancy and expensive "supplements" you see around on the shelves. After they said that cases of rickets increased by 400% in Britain, food companies (such as Kraft) have started fortifying their products all of a sudden, so now Vit D is a big business.

quietus Fri 19-Apr-13 05:13:39

Giving Vit D has been a routine in continental Europe and Scandinavia. Even in Ireland it has been recommended that children should be given Vit D. It is in a form of drops, which are given on prescription and don't belong to fancy and expensive "supplements" you see around on the shelves. After they said that cases of rickets increased by 400% in Britain, food companies (such as Kraft) have started fortifying their products all of a sudden, so now Vit D is a big business.

Beamae Fri 19-Apr-13 05:44:37

My twins are 19 months old. Just last week our GP specifically said not to give them any vitamin supplements. It's marketing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now