Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

help, dh has gone abroad for a few days and I now have to face the fact I have three children!

(47 Posts)
Enid Mon 15-May-06 08:52:24

and making dd1 and 2 their breakfast this morning while dd3 (2.5 weeks) screamed her head off was bloody stressful.

Also dd1 and 2 were ultra clingy and demanding (a 6 year old having a tantrum over her socks anyone?).

Can't believe I have four days of this. Hoping to come out of it a stronger and better person

Earlybird Mon 15-May-06 08:54:25

Can you hire someone for a few hours a day to be an extra pair of hands? Think it might be especially helpful in the evenings when you're trying to get everyone fed/bathed/in bed. Good luck, btw!

Enid Mon 15-May-06 08:55:48

I have tried to contact my mother's help (who I had when I was working) but she has been off sick for four weeks and is now not returning my calls (paranoid emoticon).

I wanted her to come in between 4-6.30.

Earlybird Mon 15-May-06 08:58:40

If she can't come, do you have a babysitter who might be able to help out? Or what about someone from a local school/nursery? I think you need to do it to stay sane - especially at the end of the day when everyone is tired/grumpy.

stitch Mon 15-May-06 09:23:56

can a friend come round for a bit? make you some dinner?
you wont stay sane otherwise?

Mog Mon 15-May-06 09:29:05

Drop nightly baths if you do them until dh comes home.
Eat ready meals for a few days if it makes it easier.
Let the older two watch cbeebies while you feed the baby - it won't kill them for a few days
Pour yourself a large glass of vino at the end of the day and repeat the mantra 'Life won't always be like this'

fairyjay Mon 15-May-06 09:38:33

I have a 13 yo having tantrums about socks! Do feel for you Enid.

cod Mon 15-May-06 09:44:13

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 15-May-06 09:45:43

0800 PIZZA HUT.

Wine.

Older sister reading younger sister her story.

cod Mon 15-May-06 09:46:19

Message withdrawn

Enid Mon 15-May-06 10:02:52

I know

basically its fine as long as baby not screaming to be fed

also trying to cope on 4 hours sleep is total bolleaux

No home delivery here expat

will do one story in my bed while feeding dd3 -good idea

large glass of wine good idea

puddle Mon 15-May-06 10:06:47

Let the house go to pot for a few days - set your standard low - to be all fed and happy for four days. Anything above that a bonus.

Sleep in the day as much as you can - don't tidy up while the baby is asleep.

You'll be so proud of yourself after 4 days.

louismummy Mon 15-May-06 10:17:15

good advice puddle

cod Mon 15-May-06 10:21:52

Message withdrawn

Aero Mon 15-May-06 10:30:28

You will be fine - it is possible - just don't try to do it all and certainly don't feel even slightly guilty if housework/washing doesn't get done - it won't go anywhere - just do a bit at a time when you feel like it.

Bare minimum - agree with cod et al. It is really most stressful when baby is screaming. lol @ socks tantrum, though I totally understand it wasn't funny at the time.

Rest as much as you can when dd3 is asleep. How old is dd2? Is there time in the day when it's just you and dd3? If there is, then def sleep then to re-charge batteries and forget all housework.
These days will pass quickly and dh will soon be home.

Enid Mon 15-May-06 16:17:40

am feeling slightly strung out at messy house

RESIST RESIST

its 4.16 and we are all still alive

foxinsocks Mon 15-May-06 16:29:51

don't you even think of tidying

bet dh is missing you all

fullmoonfiend Mon 15-May-06 16:32:58

Enid, I can't even do 3 days with 2 boys without begging my mum to come over - even if it's just for some adult conversation which doesn't revolve around bodily functions and Pokemon. Wishing you luck, a sense of humour and a blind eye to the state of the house

Esmummy Mon 15-May-06 16:33:15

Do not envy you this one Enid, just think though by the time DD's are tucked up in bed and you have large glass of wine that will be 1 day down 3 to go.

cupcakes Mon 15-May-06 16:37:06

just think how blissful it will be be when they are asleep (touch wood).

tortoiseshell Mon 15-May-06 16:56:21

Enid - what a nightmare - have had a week or so of late nights for dh, and bedtime was horrible! Remember, it doesn't matter if the baby cries for a few minutes. Can dd1 help get breakfast? Or put breakfast things out the night before?

Hope the days go quickly!!! Definitely a good idea to have wine!

Enid Mon 15-May-06 17:01:15

tea done

book bags prepared

baby v sleepy today lots of little feeds

motherinferior Mon 15-May-06 17:08:03

Remember you have a new baby and are therefore excused everything you can possibly get away with. Give yourself advice (ie feed, sleep if and when at all possible, cut all corners) and, er, very very good luck.

tortoiseshell Mon 15-May-06 17:54:13

also, cbeebies is your best friend at times like this! Hope your evening goes well. x

KateF Mon 15-May-06 18:13:34

Much sympathy Enid. My life is like this as dh is out 6.45 am - 8pm and has been since dd3 was 2 weeks old. Just be very very kind to yourself and repeat constantly "they are clean and fed, anything else is a bonus"!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: