Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

Would you go on holiday with a 5 week old baby?!

(14 Posts)
Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 20:40:56

I am due at the end of July and can't face another wet English summer without any sun...
We have been offered a friends villa in France at the beginning of September - it has all the kit for babies and I can lounge by pool while the older three go out with their dad.
Are we mad to even think about it?!
Even though I already have three, I can't really remember what it was like in those first six weeks...!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 15-Apr-13 20:43:49

I would be concerned about getting a passport in time, especially if you were to go over your due date.

Apart from that I can't see a problem.

nilbyname Mon 15-Apr-13 20:45:35

Same about the passport although you can go to the office in newport and get one done on the day I think?

I would go, sounds lovely!

SwishSwoshSwoosh Mon 15-Apr-13 20:45:46

If all was well, I would go away spur ofthe moment, but I would never plan a holiday (such as book flights etc) for then because I thinkif you get a refluxy baby or any health issues or any anything, you will have to cancel.

So I guess no, I wouldn't book it.

PixelAteMyFace Mon 15-Apr-13 20:54:01

Yes, I`d go - a villa with everything you need for the baby is perfect. An hotel would be slightly more difficult.

IMO it`s much, much easier to travel with a tiny baby, especially if breastfeeding.

We went away for a few days when DD was just ten days old - no problem at all.

GibberTheMonkey Mon 15-Apr-13 20:56:55

I went away when dc4 was 7 week ish.
Meant a flight but I did leave the other three behind with their dad.
It was fab
Why not

Lawabidingmama Mon 15-Apr-13 21:11:41

I went to a wedding in New York when my DD1 was 11 weeks old, it was great she was ebf so easy really she didn't make a peep on the flight happy to be in my arms/on my boob and being so young was very adaptable when we were there we've been a few times as we have family out there so avoided all the hustle and bustle hired an apt in the upper east side and hung out round Central Park, I'm glad we went as wont be able to do anything like again for a long time!

hillyhilly Mon 15-Apr-13 22:11:02

I went to a villa in France when my ds was 5 weeks old! (He was 6 days late).
It was great, the only slight issues were that he slept so long on the transfer I got engorged and got mastitis and that he then embarked on a growth spurt for the first 2/3 days so I barely left the poolside, shady chair that was earmarked as the best place to feed - it was lovely! This also meant that I felt I wasn't pulling my weight (we were with friends with a bottle fed 12 week old).
Other than that the whole holiday was brilliant and I would definitely recommend it, it was also like an extended paternity leave for dh.

Thirstysomething Mon 15-Apr-13 23:39:33

Thanks, sounds positive!

AnyFucker Mon 15-Apr-13 23:53:24

Gosh, yes of course I would

France ain't exactly the middle of the Sahara desert

BeCool Tue 16-Apr-13 00:45:34

Sure you can. I went across the world with dd at 4 weeks and lived on a small island with no electricity. Bliss.

Got passport quickly too - hardest part was choosing her name fast so I could apply for pp.

Thirstysomething Tue 16-Apr-13 23:24:17

Thanks - if it was just this dc I would not be worrying... I took dd1 on holiday at 7 weeks. It is the thought of travelling with newborn plus three other monkeys that is worrying me - stressful enough even without newborn!!
C xxx

BeCool Tue 16-Apr-13 23:43:54

You give yourself over to the newborn and your DP caters completely for the other 3. Would that work ? grin

BackforGood Tue 16-Apr-13 23:53:39

No!
At least, not out of the country.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now