Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working - advice please

(3 Posts)
andrews81 Mon 15-Apr-13 13:12:24

Afternoon all smile

I have recently submitted an application to return to work 3 days a week; plus 3 flexible days a month instead of working full time (any 5 in 7), and had my meeting at work last week. During the meeting the manager kept sayuing I couldn't do this and that as my role had changed and the workload had increased and the support from other departments had diminished. I felt completely unprepared as non of this had been explained to me prior to the request being put in. I have left the application with them but anticipate it being rejected. Can they do this whilst I am ok maternity leave? Advice on my next move please smile

lola88 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:57:31

I don't know exactly but i'd advise to contact the union, I have had problems with my hours since returning they were very much you can't do this we need you to do that until the union got involved and it all changed.

sedgieloo Mon 15-Apr-13 20:19:30

I wonder if you can withdraw your application and think about the obstacles and how you may be able to resubmit including a business case which might circumvent some of the now known challenges and objections. As I understand it (from recollection, i made my own application 18 months ago) you may make one request in 12 months and there is an obligation on their part that they will seriously consider? I would check the policy, check the legalities and see if you can resubmit.

I have adjusted my working hours a few times over the years only once as a parent. Each time I have tried to look at the business needs and actually I have presented a business case Along with my request. Showing business benefits and ways to overcome emerging issues. It saved my boss a job when she supported the application/s!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now