Talk

Advanced search

Amoxicillin, ear infection, no sleep! Advice please

(7 Posts)
Cosmo89 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:26:07

Started on Amoxicillin for ear infection yesterday. He was so difficult to settle - at 230 am I tried co-sleeping- he would only sleep if on me, and had to be jiggled every 30 mins or he woke up.

I got no sleep.

He's been fine kn himself today- he threw up last night but no more today, he's refusing solids but taking milk (he's 9 mo). He gets tired more easily but it still rushing around.

Anyone have any words of advice? I can't do another last night, I'm on my knees.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sun 14-Apr-13 17:27:28

Have you been giving calpol/nurofen too? I always find nurofen works better for my 2.

Cosmo89 Sun 14-Apr-13 17:38:25

We've been giving Calpol, not neurofen - as he had a temperature- might try neurofen tho. He's on so many drugs at the moment I wanted to limit it a bit (also on omeprazole for silent reflux) but I think we need to give it a go...

Cosmo89 Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:26

Wondered if anyone out there had a problem with their reflux baby taking amoxicillin?

3littlefrogs Sun 14-Apr-13 19:19:06

Being horizontal makes the pain of ear infection ten times worse. This is why small children with earache are so miserable and exhausted.

Any way you can find to prop him up will help.

Nurofen helps.

Once the antibiotics kick in, usually after 48 hours, things will improve.

HTH

foryonisonly Sun 14-Apr-13 21:14:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hillee Tue 16-Apr-13 12:22:05

Both my kids have had shocking ear infections, DD perforated her eardrum three times before she was two (the first at ten weeks) - I am now a pro. My best tips:
- Initially, you can give paracetemol and ibuprofuen together in one hit, then alternate every three hours. You can keep this up for two days if you want. I do think nurofen is better at that age for pain relief - not sure why, but seems to work better/faster - in my experience.
- If co sleeping works, do it. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.
- Re eating, don't even worry. As long as they were hydrated, mine could have eaten chocolate all day if they wanted .
- Agree with the TV, it is distracting.

Really, do whatever works. And the infection will settle down soon, you just have to ride it out.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now