Talk

Advanced search

DS is always full of cold/snot since starting nursery...am I alone?

(14 Posts)
SwivelHips Sun 14-Apr-13 12:40:16

I mean I'd heard he'd pick up the odd cold etc but this is verging on the ridiculous. I went back to work mid Feb, and since then I think I can count about 2-3 days of him getting better then wham bham snot central coupled with cough that means he sleeps even less than he did before <wails>.
Been to gp/paed at hosp (loads being first time mum!!) and advice is "it needs to run its course, its viral or by the time he goes to school he'll be invincible". Really? I can't bloody wait that long. Haven't been to any baby groups in months in case he spreads it further. Anyone else in the same boat?

nextphase Sun 14-Apr-13 13:24:30

Not the same boat currently, but we had exactly the same thing when DS1 started nursery. I don't think I managed a full week for ages without being called to pick him up, BUT it does get better - and we should be coming to the end of snot season soon.

DS2 has been a completely different case - presumably because he got most of it from DS1 as it went round nursery, rather than getting exposed to it all at once!

HearMyRoar Sun 14-Apr-13 13:33:51

Oh yes, dd has had constant tummy bugs (which she has kindly shared with us) and colds since starting nursery. Its clearly nursery related as she was hardly ever ill at all before starting. Unfortunately I think it's just one of those things. Children are infectious little beasts and stick a load of them in a room together sharing the same toys and they are going to pass things around. I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it really.

beeny Sun 14-Apr-13 13:38:17

I had this with my first dd and then nothing with second dd.IF anything the youngest is a worse eater but sleeps for hours.Try limiting your childs diary intake for a bit and make sure they are keeping him wrapped up at nursery if he goes out.

MummyNoName Sun 14-Apr-13 13:39:11

Quite normal I'm afraid.
When ds1 started nursery he had a bad year of almost concurrent tonsillitis/ear infections/snot/coughs/hand foot and mouth/chicken pox - everything.

All the germs just spread like wildfire between the dc at nursery. And their immune systems aren't used to it. It got much better after about 9-12 months and thankfully he's hardly ever ill now.

ShowOfHands Sun 14-Apr-13 13:44:48

We had 6 months of it when dd started preschool. She'd had nothing up to that point really bar the odd cold here and there. In 6 months she had numerous coughs and colds, 4 ear infections, slapped cheek, hand foot and mouth, chicken pox and proper flu.

I saw the gp as I was really worried about her but he said that it's just how they build up an immune system. She's at school now, in Y1 and has had a couple of days off for a single ear infection and a couple of days following norovirus. So two illnesses in two years compared to 783 illnesses in 6 months.

notcitrus Sun 14-Apr-13 13:46:16

About 6 months of snot for ds, though amazingly he didn't get chicken pox until the fifth outbreak.
Dd currently 2.5 months in and still.snotastic.

No tummy bugs, thankfully. And ds hardly ever gets a sniffle now, despite a vitamin-lacking diet.

SwivelHips Sun 14-Apr-13 13:51:22

Oh blimey I'm in good company then. I shall count my blessings I think...foot and mouth? chicken pox?
He probably does eat quite a bit of dairy so I'll have a look at that smile

Timeforabiscuit Sun 14-Apr-13 14:00:22

When dd1 started nursery tere was no picture of her without snot for a year - a whole sodding year!!!!

At the time I thought it was bloody ridiculous, but now she rarely gets them though it was a baptism of fire.

One brilliant thing was a saline spray I bought from boots, which kind of loosens the snot and clears it a bit for night time. Also if its the thin runny clear snot that stops them sleeping, antihistamine like piroten really helps.

I know too much about snot hmm

TheBeanAndTheBee Sun 14-Apr-13 14:03:46

Agree, quite normal... Do you give him vitamins? was sceptical but they have really helped reduce the constant runny noses here...

SwivelHips Sun 14-Apr-13 14:47:13

You know I haven't started vits yet, he's still above the amount of formula plus gets a few bfs too. Why am I so thick about stuff like this, I used to be clever you know.
His snot is light green and a bit thick....the stuff he coughs up is clear though (wish he'd learn to spit, be sooo much easier for him smile ).
I've been using a nasal spray but he's onto me now, he has some strength for a baby, and some temper.

Timeforabiscuit Sun 14-Apr-13 16:13:57

Have you used it on yourself in front of him or offered him to press the squirt button?
Mine relished control above all else so a bit of reverse psychology worked - but that depends on age!

ppeatfruit Sun 14-Apr-13 16:22:57

swivel I 2nd the idea to limit dairy DS was the only DC in his nursery without a snottty nose because he didn't have their free milk.

ppeatfruit Sun 14-Apr-13 16:24:28

I stopped the milk because he was getting asthma and that improved too grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now