Talk

Advanced search

Daytime naps for 6mo

(5 Posts)
GreenElephants Sat 13-Apr-13 12:51:02

Could anyone give me advice on how to settle my 6mo for a successful daytime nap. He is a great sleeper at night but finds it hard to sleep for more than 20 mins at a time in the day. This didn't use to worry me as I just let him sleep when he needed it but he is waking up still tired and however hard I try I cannot get him back down even though he is crying, yawning, rubbing eyes etc. Has anyone got any tips?

MadMonkeys Sat 13-Apr-13 13:29:15

When do you put him down for naps? My dd2 is 6.5mo now, I put her down just before 9am and 1pm. I feed to sleep, are you breastfeeding or formula? If I try to delay naps she gets overtired and won't settle for long. Have you read 'healthy sleep habits, happy child'? I found it very enlightening with dd1 and it is serving me well with dd2 too. I don't agree with him on controlled crying, but there loads of other stuff in there that really helped.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 13-Apr-13 13:45:02

Some people find that putting them to sleep somewhere different in the day helps, like going for a walk, putting them in a sling or putting them in your bed.

Have you read the No Cry Nap Solution? It might help smile

MatriarchalDreams Sat 13-Apr-13 13:49:10

I have had some success getting my DD to sleep for longer during the day using some of the techniques in the No Cry Nap Solution book.

GiveMeVegemite Sun 14-Apr-13 14:29:51

I can't really suggest anything, but my 10 month old was exactly the same and it has taken him this long to finally start sleeping longer. He was just a cat napper, and still is for at least one nap, but usually has a semi decent nap for at least 45 mins -1.5 hours now.

I tried everying, nap extending - letting him cry and stay in his cot til he fell asleep again, but this just stressed us both out and didn't work. I ended up accepting that he had short naps and just used to put him down for about 3/4 naps a day....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now