Talk

Advanced search

Baby stops breathing while feeding - help!

(3 Posts)
octanegirl Thu 11-Apr-13 16:25:10

He's 12 weeks and it happens daily. While breastfeeding he'll stop breathing and pull away, seemingly unable to draw breath. His eyes open wide and then he suddenly gasps and is ok again. It generally only happens once per feed.
It's really freaking me out and I'm worried this might happen when he's asleep.....
Do other babies do this?

SquidgersMummy Thu 11-Apr-13 17:20:15

Bloody MN app! Sorry - second try. Don't worry - its a reflex that if water hits back of mouth the breathing shuts off - hence babies can swim underwater - my dd would fall asleep feeding with milk in her mouth then suddenly look like she's sucking lemons unable to breathe: they gasp and its fine. At baby swimming they get you to blow on their faces after a dunk. They grow out of it/overcome it. X

MamaBlue4 Thu 11-Apr-13 17:57:14

ds1 did this when he was young. Being a first time mom I freaked out and constantly watched in case he stopped breathing, but at his check up I talked to his doctor and said it was a reflex. Still very scary and not nice to witness!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now