Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Am I feeding baby too much/too often

(15 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Thu 11-Apr-13 10:57:55

I'm EBF my 10 wk old and from a big ff family so am being told a lot that I'm feeding baby too often comfort feeding baby.
I know I am comfort feeding her a lot of time but when she's upset and she wants to suckle I don't see the harm so far today I've gave her a big feed (both sides)at 7 when she woke a top up of 1 side within the hour, both sides at 9.15, little top up at 10 then she's had a play and got upset so have let her suckle for another couple minutes.
She will not have a dummy and I know I am being used as a giant dummy but if I don't mind is there any harm done or am I making a rod for my own back and encouraging comfort eating?!

noblegiraffe Thu 11-Apr-13 11:05:11

You can't over feed a breastfed baby and if she is comfort sucking then isn't it wonderful that you can comfort her and make her happy?

Breastfeeding is so much more than simply feeding your baby. Keep up the good work! smile

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 11-Apr-13 12:06:48

Thank you that makes me feel better its so hard know what to do for the best sometimes

QTPie Thu 11-Apr-13 12:12:39

If you are happy doing it, then go for it.

Personally I always looked for other ways to comfort DS if he wasn't hungry (cuddles, patting, shushing, dummy) because that suited me and I didn't want to become a human dummy and wanted other people to be able to soothe him too. It worked very well for us (and he became a good sleeper very very quickly - down to one night feed at 5 weeks and sleeping through consistently by 12 weeks). I also expressed one feed a day from 4 weeks (and breast fed the rest of the feeds): for practical convenience (ie DS was used to a bottle and other people feeding him - so we could go out if we wanted to). But my approach is very much a practical parenting approach (and helped keeps me same wink ).

It is your baby and your body - do what you are happy with.

battyralphie Thu 11-Apr-13 12:17:00

Even if it is comfort feeding it is nothing to be concerned about, she is your baby and it is surely normal to comfort her, and how often you do that is something that you decide. But at 10 weeks it could also be cluster feeding, perhaps she just needs more milk because she is going through a growth spurt.

MumOfTheMoos Thu 11-Apr-13 12:24:47

At 10 weeks this is completely normal and what a lovely think to be able to comfort your baby with the breast! You sound like you're doing fantastically!

My 12mo DS is 3 weeks into a nursing strike hmm and whilst I'm still expressing just in case he comes back, I'm not holding my breath either. I had wanted to keep feeding longer precisely to ensure I had a really quick and easy way of giving him comfort.

noblegiraffe Thu 11-Apr-13 12:29:15

Remember, you're not being used as a dummy substitute, a dummy would be a nipple substitute. Of course there's no harm done in giving her the real thing!

Pigsmummy Thu 11-Apr-13 14:01:38

Just keep doing what you are doing and enjoy, your milk supply will be very good as a result of this and when your baby gets heavier she will sleep for longer and naturally start to feed less often but be more satisfied by her feeds. As for the dummy we didn't use one until teething set in.

KatAndKit Thu 11-Apr-13 14:10:57

You aren't being used as a dummy, you are being used as his mummy. I say that as a mother whose baby has a dummy and likes it. But not all babies will take one and sometimes when they are upset only mummy will do.
Very young breastfed babies do feed often. There are so many growth spurts in the first three months. It is very different to formula feeding. If your family don't have experience of breastfeeding then don't feel you need to act on their probably well meaning advice.

KatAndKit Thu 11-Apr-13 14:11:34

her mummy, I've noticed your baby is a girl.

ZuleikaD Thu 11-Apr-13 17:15:36

You can't overfeed a bf baby.

QTPie Thu 11-Apr-13 17:30:46

Well they can eat too much, but if they do it just comes back up again wink

chroniclackofimagination Thu 11-Apr-13 17:43:03

At 10 weeks I'd put her on the boob for food or comfort whenever she wants it. My 2nd is 20 weeks now and despite refusing dummy he's starting to need the boob less, he feeds quicker and DP can settle him if he's not hungry.

pointythings Thu 11-Apr-13 20:17:07

I demand fed both times until I went back to work at 6 months, and even then when they were with me I'd offer boob when they wanted it. They worked out a pattern at about 4 months and started going longer between feeds (except at 12 and 16 week growth spurts) from about that time.

Demand feeding helps keep your supply working well, it's really worth doing and yes, it is very different from formula feeding.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 11-Apr-13 21:48:03

Thanks all feel reassured that what I'm doing is normal smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: