Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

13 mo DS appears to have mild chicken pox - he is due to have his MMR today. Best to postpone it?

(7 Posts)
CarterGirl Thu 11-Apr-13 10:28:37

DS has some red spots that look a little crusty on his face, backs of legs and a few on his arms. No temperature and no loss of appetite (yet!). Doesn't appear to be too itchy either although did have a restless night and woke a few times (yay). The spots first appeared on Monday evening as far as I recall.
I took him to nursery, explained the situation and asked what they thought (DS is PFB so I don't really know what chicken pox looks like). His key worker thought it probably was, but took him anyway as he doesn't have temp/ loss of appetite and says they are not so infectious once spots appear to have scabbed.
Anyway, he is due to have his MMR today, which has been delayed for various reasons twice already. I am quite keen (although nervous about it) that he has it as would like him protected against measles sooner rather than later. But I am now of course worried about giving him MMR while he has chicken pox. I googled it and read about a case where a child in Scotland died after having chicken pox and being given the MMR (so heartbreaking, the poor family).
I guess on balance it is safest to postpone the jab. I just wish he was protected against measles.
Any advice? I will of course ask the nurse too - but seems silly to go to the appointment if it is definitely best to postpone.

SweepTheHalls Thu 11-Apr-13 10:31:59

Ring the health visitor and ask them, I would postpone, but rebook now so you don't forget.

lljkk Thu 11-Apr-13 10:32:57

HV will not want him in clinic if he's probably still infectious, anyway. I would reschedule.

Sirzy Thu 11-Apr-13 11:07:16

You can't take a child with chicken pox out, especially not to a clinic/doctors where there will be other vulnerable people. You need to cancel it and reschedule.

hazeyjane Thu 11-Apr-13 12:08:15

Definitely postpone.

All spots have to have crusted over completely, before he is no longer infectious. Are any new batches of spots appearing?

I am surprised nursery let him stay.

hypnotisingchickens Thu 11-Apr-13 12:13:31

I'd say that you definitely need to postpone. The nurse refused to give my DS his booster because he was recovering 2 weeks post chickenpox- said his immune system was too vulnerable.

CarterGirl Thu 11-Apr-13 14:27:13

Thanks all - it has been postponed.

No new batches of spots had appeared overnight. He never had a temp or went off his food (and he goes off his food easily) prior to the spots appearing so I am not even really sure if he has chicken pox - but I too was a little surprised that they let him stay.
I'm going to call them now actually and ask how he is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now