Talk

Advanced search

Safely taking a 20 week old on a coach

(8 Posts)
katolla Wed 10-Apr-13 21:11:39

I'm taking DD to Hungary, to a place that's a 3.5 hour coach ride from the airport in Budapest. What's the best way to take her on the coach? Would a sling or baby carrier be okay, if I wear a seat belt underneath? I'll be on my own and already carrying a buggy and luggage so not that keen on a car seat too, but obviously will if that's the safest thing. Trying to find out if the Hungarian coaches have seat belts, as I hear the French ones don't.
Thanks for any advice or experience you can share.

lagoonhaze Wed 10-Apr-13 21:49:43

No a sling wont be ok as in the event of an accident you will crush her or fling her as it breaks loose. I would take a lightweight infant carrier as invariably even if you cant seat belt her in it will be some protection and also give you hands free at times.

katolla Thu 11-Apr-13 15:23:07

is a carrier the same as a car seat? Surely that's more dangerous in the event of a crash as a flying car seat could hit someone?

QTPie Thu 11-Apr-13 15:34:45

Will the coache definitely have a three point seat belt? If it does then take the carseat and fix the carseat with the seat belt.

Personally I wouldn't travel with a baby on a bus which didn't have seatbelt to fix a carseat. Are there other options open to you? Train or hire car?

pizzaqueen Thu 11-Apr-13 15:46:48

Id say taking an infant carrier carseat is safest but It's unlikely the coach will have the correct seats belts to belt a car seat in safely anyway. But it might offer more protection than being unrestrained. I've seen video where the whole carseat has been thrown out of the vehicle in a crash but infant still ok as it offered impact protection.

I would have her in a sling because if you are thrown forward you will crush her.

In the UK I don't think you need to use a carseat on a coach, parents choice, many will hold child on their knee. But what is safe and what is legal are too different things. It's a hard decision to make I understand why you wouldn't want to lug a carseat with you, especially if travelling alone.

pizzaqueen Thu 11-Apr-13 15:50:09

Would not have her in a sling

teacher123 Thu 11-Apr-13 18:26:39

Do you have a car seat that clips to the frame of your pushchair? Then you could use that as the buggy whilst you're away?

katolla Sat 13-Apr-13 20:02:42

QT I have had a look at trains and it looks like there might be one I can get.. What a relief if so!!

Teacher I have been looking at XLRs on eBay though haven't won anything yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now